Broken Carbon Frame???

PHIL BUYS SPORTS

Some advice please,

Ok so my one friend buys this nice Scott carbon frame (2nd hand) and after the first ride the frame snaps on the rear stay (Must have had some sort of defect there as he didnt even ride it hard). It snapped right through and obviously is on a place where it takes a lot of hammering.

1.Will this be fixable by anybody?

2.Does anybody know if he'd be able to warranty the frame, not sure how scott's warranty stuff works.

Below is some pics

20100417_065247_Scott_001.jpg

20100417_065327_Scott_002.jpg

20100417_065409_Scott_003.jpg

20100417_065430_Scott_004.jpg

That bottom pic looks like it took a serious knock. Sure he did not drop it onto something hard enough to damage the chainstay? Or the guy before him perhaps.

That bottom pic looks like it took a serious knock. Sure he did not drop it onto something hard enough to damage the chainstay? Or the guy before him perhaps.

Not sure how the guy before him handled the frame so it is possible, but my friend built up the frame the day before and was riding on tar and just felt the frame give in.

Methinks he was done in.

Think it is repairable, just get someone reputeable to do the work. Dunno anybody up country to do it. Keep the post alive, sure somebody will point you in the right direction (or repudiate my statement of it being repairableWink)

So....

The Broken right leg in the bottom pic' date=' has nothing to do with the broken righthand chainstay...??
[/quote']

Ha, nope that be from a motorcycle accident.

@Jon0, that could be possible, question is can it be fixed or replacedSmile

Try PRODUX cycles in Killarney gardens, he might just be able to help.

They work with carbon bikes etc. he might even sort it out for you??

I used to say parts with damage like this should be trashed. However, I've seen some amazing work done by quite a few carbon repair experts. There's a guy in Jeffrey's Bay, one in Potch, one in Wemmer Pan (Jhb) and one in Cape Town that I know of. Which is most convenient, considering that the triangle isn't a problem to package and mail.

Edit: I should also have said that the risk of re-failure should be weighed up viz a vie  the location of the break. Don't repair a fork, but a chainstay, why not? If it breaks again you won't fall on your face.

It is a hardtail so would have to package the whole frame.

I got hold of a guy in Silverton PTA a guy in CPT and in Wemmer Pan. Some of them gave money back guarantees that it will not break at the same spot so will see what it boils down to.

That is fixable. And it will never break again. But that frame took a serious knock, so I dont think there is any possiblities of a warranty.