What to buy, new MTB rider.

Spacekriek

What to buy? I have so many info but still need to make an decision. Do I buy secondhand R5000 which I can get a better spec bike then R5000 new, or do I buy new R7000. I still need to buy gear as well. Please help me making a right decision, I thought of buying the following. What can i look for when buying secondhand that the bike is still in good condition?

2010 Silverback Dakota  R6500 new

2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 R7000 new

2010 Scott Aspect 35 R6400 new

2010 Merida Matt 40D R4000 second hand

Hey Spacekriek, id say the best value for money would be the Silverback....althoughive had a rather bad experiance with them. They have really good specs for their price.

What type of riding do you plan on doing? XC?

When looking at a second hand bike, check the drive train, (chain, clusuter and chainrings) for any wear or damage. make sure the fork isnt worn and that there are no visable leaks of any sort. also check all the joins/welds on the frame for hairline cracks or chips that could become a problem.

Sure no problem,  I wouldnt get the merida....the parts arnt even Deore.....i dont think they will hold if you plan on riding so often. id say get the Silverback. Best value for money and the got really good aftersales service.

jrussel, tx for the info, I like the silverback, I can get the same bike for R5000 secondhand the bike only did 70km, I know the guy personally I work with him, bike is in excellent condition, but the bike is xl and I am suppose to ride large according to everybody I talked to, does the bike size really make that much difference, I am 1.87m wieght 100kg

Yes the size will make quite a difference, specially if you want to ride as often as you want. After a while you wont feel as comporatble and you will feel to stretched out and might get aches and pains too, rather go for a large...even though its R1500 more, it will be worth it to have to correct size. youll have more control of the bike if it was your size too (L).

Alternatively you could buy it, sell the frame and buy a frame in the correct size (possibly even get a better frame)... Obviously more effort, but can be fun customising your bike (labour is expensive though if you can't do it yourself).

IMO go for the best frame/fork/wheels combo, the rest wears out and you can upgrade as it does and as you get into cycling more seriously...

I recently went thru the same process (beginning of Feb), looked at the GT Avalanche 1.0 2010 and also the Merida Merida Matts 60D, both for about R7k. I eventually spent a bit extra (R1.4k) and got the Merida TFS XC 400D. Rear derailleur is Shimano XT, front derailleur and shifters both Deore, and fork is Rock Shok Dart 2.

For 2nd hand i was advised to only go to Cycle Traders (Avron) in Woodstock, did take a look but didn't have my size. Also 2nd hand bikes don't have warranty as far as i'm aware.

Overall i was told fairly significantly better components on the Merida i purchased, especially value for money. Also important on where you'll be riding. Tokai is apparently notoriously bad on components and bikes, but really good fun. Good luck and enjoy!