Crosstrail fail

Domin8tr

I was assured that the Crosstrails I bought will increase the speed I freewheel at. This didn't happen, in fact I've slowed down! Does anybody have any experience with this? Do I return them or is it bearings or what?? smiley18.gif

I would expect it's bum-sales-speak at fault.

Others would know better; but I would think the difference in wheels' freewheeling speed would be minimal and very hard to judge when other factors are taken into account.

I think I've been had!!

My mate is freewheeling past me and his hubs are stuffed. With my old wheels I always went past him freewheeling. Always!!

I mean maybe the sealed bearings in the Mavic hub are less effective than than the cone type I've got in my old Shimano hubs?

Thanks Scoe,

Free wheel speed???? there are so many factors (the brake could be dragging ect) 

I'd say more important is wheel stiffness, weight, strength ect not how fast it free wheels.

Pretend you are bending over a barrel and assume this position when freewheeling to increase your speed.LOL

Buying new wheels to increase your free-wheeling speed.. That is a new sales pitch/motivation for me.

But seriously, older well worn hubs should free faster than new hubs because the seals are worn out. Slight resistance in bearings indicate the seals are still effective and contact the race moving relative to the seal. This is what they are meant to do.

Is your buddy not more of an fat ass than you, fat asses free wheel faster than skinny asses.

Nothing to do with bearings!!! But more with weight!!

Have you lost weight? Has your buddy put on wieght?

Do you have new tyres on these new wheels - rolling restiance from different tyre will make way more difference that new or old bearing and probabably more than aerodynamic drag - especially on an mtb where speed is relatively low

Hey guys I am the afformentioned buddy, and I must admit that the domin8tr has a case, I am a bit lighter then him but neither of us are light  weight I am 90kg's and Domin8tr is 94kg's (or so he claims).

Anyway new and better wheelset should equal better performance should it not, compared to the old set he had on where he was easily freewheeling past me and I had to peddle to keep touch he is now lagging behind. as to the importance of freewheeling I would say that over the distance of a race less energy because of a better/ faster freewheel or rolling resistance so when you lay down some cash on a product that is supposed to help you perform better, it is dissapointing when the reverse is in fact true.

Hey guys I am the afformentioned buddy' date=' and I must admit that the domin8tr has a case,....

.............as to the importance of freewheeling I would say that over the distance of a race less energy because of a better/ faster freewheel or rolling resistance so when you lay down some cash on a product that is supposed to help you perform better, it is dissapointing when the reverse is in fact true.
[/quote']

It only shows that when you buy more expensive wheels you may not roll any faster. Why should you?

Plenty of products are sold talking up features that to the average guy make absolutely no difference at all, despite having brochures with graphs showing upward lines of performance.

All the tech-speak re the hubs for example, can all be true and they can be 50% better than another hub; but this is such a small part of the rolling equation that it simply doesnt matter.