Going 2x9

stewie911

Who here has done it?

Need some tips.

I have the slx crankset on my bike, but may buy the truvativ noir 3.3.

Which would be easier to convert? Or is it the same?

Also, which fd works best? Top swing or conventional?

Thinking of getting 28 and 40 teeth chainrings. What brands and where do I buy them?

This is for a hardtail. Looking for a lightweight setup.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been riding 2x9 cranks for over a year now. Certainly the way to go. Converting a shimano or truvative crank is difficult(chainrings are hard to get). A better option is to get a 2x9 crankset like Rotor, Sram XX, FSA.

Werner go have a look on the net for the AUS mtb mag, they did an article about the conversion  a month or so ago, detailing all the bits and how to make em work.

I also want to do this...I dont use my granny ring that much and so a 2x9 setup is perfect. but R4000 for XX cranks smiley11.gif you've got to be insane...not much out there in chain ring options.

Middleburn have the RS7 & RS8 double cranks with a variety of different chainring sizes.

Until they bring out their external BB (pictures of which are floating around the net), you'll have to either get the square taper or ISIS bottom bracket.

Alternatively Shimano make the SLX crank in a 2 blade setup (22/36) with a bashguard.

Found some chainrings on Jenson cycles or something like that.

Will have a look at the others. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I?m going to order the following chainrings to convert my FSA Carbon Team Issue (104/64 BCD) to a 2x9 setup ? <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Specialites TA chainring Chinook 104 mm mid 42 T. black

Specialites TA chainring Chinook 64 mm 28 T. black

What other options are there? What bolts and chainring spacers will I need? Any better suggestions? The Extralite OctaRamp Gara looks awesome, but it's double the price. I used the Extralite 44/30 on my E-bones W (worked for everything), but I'd like to try a 42/28 now.

Is it possible to shorten the axle so I don't have to use the bb spacers? I want a narrower q-factor, without having to buy new cranks. ridr2010-06-08 13:47:54

FSA are not a light and good purchase ....

i prefer some cranks with removable spider

here is Lightning

ready to be installed on a Flash 26" Team

not born for BB30 , it was however adapted by me to run a BB30 shell

with 40-26T CarbonTi rings

complete weight is adding 46 g of the two BB30 bearings

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1051/hpim0603.jpg

Beautiful! What reasonably priced cranks would you recommend for a 2x9 setup? Something that will last and be easy to repair when it needs to be.

I had no problems doing 2x9. I used Deore Cranks, just removed the 22 and kept the 32 and 44. Using it with XO grip shift, just had to adjust the H and L screws.

I also have explored the options...simply taking granny off does not cut it. In the western cape you need something smaller. Ideally 26/40 or 27/40. Keeping 104bcd you can use only 29 (possibly 28) but getting hold of chainrings is nearly impossible and the after market stuff is pricey.

XX and rotor are brilliant - but R4000 - wow I can buy a bike for that!