Burry's Sea Otter XC winning 29er

_Daemon_

hmmmm. im a spez fan in a big way, but this just dont do it for me

the geometry looks arb on the big tractor wheels

sorry im not much a fan of 29ers but this just looks too strange for anything

if on the other hand it had 26ers on it would look a whole lot better but thats just me...

very inventive

to be fast...like a track riders stem.

You may have more control.

Who cares whats ugly, if you want to ride with the stem facing you...go for it.

I also had to go longer on my stem and run it flush in the head tube to get low enough. I ran a zero setback saddle too on epic but now have gone back to a set back post the stretch it out a bit, and keep my saddle setback correct.

Remember Burry is used to riding in a really low position, so the 29er geo being so high would be very different.

This bike rocks!!

This may not be the best picture of his bike though.... Here's a link to mine... maybe this converts a few naysayers Tongue https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=81139&KW=stump

I think the bike is rather sexy. The wheels are bigger lifting the front up higher. Flipping the stem down is the easiest way to get the cockpit where Burry might be used to it, low.

The wheels are bigger lifting the front up higher. Flipping the stem down is the easiest way to get the cockpit where Burry might be used to it' date=' low.

[/quote']

I was think about that but the rear also get lifted up. Take your 26" and lift the wheels 1.5" up, your not gonna drop the stem just because if that. if the BB stays the same distance from the ground in relation to a 26" and in turn keeps the seat in the same place then yes you do need to drop the stem. That is atleast how I see it in my mind's eye.

I wonder why Burry and Conrad Stolz were racing from Holzkirchen and not their hometown. Max Know was racing from Roodepoort. The Spez factory is in Holkirchen but thats not their home town.

But seriously dudes how Brian Lopes the old bugger at 39 years finished third in the downhill ahead of Peat, Atherton et al, welld done grandpa!

I also had to go longer on my stem and run it flush in the head tube to get low enough. I ran a zero setback saddle too on epic but now have gone back to a set back post the stretch it out a bit' date=' and keep my saddle setback correct.

Remember Burry is used to riding in a really low position, so the 29er geo being so high would be very different.

This bike rocks!!

This may not be the best picture of his bike though.... Here's a link to mine... maybe this converts a few naysayers Tongue https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=81139&KW=stump

[/quote']

Your's looks way better than this.

http://yfrog.com/47mihj

(wish I had privileges as a member to post pictures)

Burry's on the short side to be riding a 29er hence the downturned stem and funny look but you ride a 29er cause it's faster, not because it looks better. I think for most races in SA it's the way to go and they definately going to get more popular.

Interesting to note that Tarmac's well speced bike comes in at just under 10 kg while Specialized have got Burry's to 8,5kg.

Burry's on the short side to be riding a 29er hence the downturned stem and funny look but you ride a 29er cause it's faster' date=' not because it looks better. I think for most races in SA it's the way to go and they definitely going to get more popular.

Interesting to note that Tarmac's well speced bike comes in at just under 10 kg while Specialized have got Burry's to 8,5kg.
[/quote']

Burry has the BB30 integrated Crank setup and Eggbeaters... I hate Eggbeaters so I get penalised here probably 300g. My wheels can also loose 200g (and will do soon) Plus I am running XO and Burry full XX, and those Rotor Components are probably another 100g off my parts.

Did Burry use Renegade 29er tires? Those would also shave 200g... but sadly not available here yet Shocked

@Mampara - yes the entire bike gets lifted equally by the wheels but the bigger wheels need different geometries and so the headtube goes up, sharper rake and the BB is a bit lower. So the higher heatube make you want to drop it somehow.

I know what Burry is going through here, I can see from the photo. Gone to a long low stem and zero setback saddle to get over the front of the bike in the turns, otherwise the front end tucks with the sharp rake these bikes have.

Burry's on the short side to be riding a 29er hence the downturned stem and funny look but you ride a 29er cause it's faster' date=' not because it looks better. I think for most races in SA it's the way to go and they definately going to get more popular.

?

[/quote']

far from it I'm 5'6" and happy on my 29er

also run a funny stem - negative 16 degrees!