Roofrack vs Towbar carriers

LazyTrailRider

Hi guys,

Who here has switched from using a towbar-mounted carrier to a roofrack one?

I recently bought a new car (Renault Megane) without a towbar. I used to take my bike apart and fold down the back seat in my previous car (also without a towbar), but there's just no way I'm doing that to the new baby Wink

The only experience I have is with towbar models, to me they're the logical and practical choice, but for some reason I just can't bear the R3k or so (plus hole in the shiny new bumper) that it'll take just to get to a point where I can fit one.

What are your experiences with:

1) Ease of lifting a bike up onto the roof?

2) Bikes falling onto, scratching the roof, etc?

3) Fuel consumption?

4) Forgetting that you have a bike up there while driving underneath low hanging branches or into a garage? (Hey, I have to ask)

Thanks!

1) Ease of lifting a bike up onto the roof?

2) Bikes falling onto' date=' scratching the roof, etc?

3) Fuel consumption?

4) Forgetting that you have a bike up there while driving underneath low hanging branches or into a garage? (Hey, I have to ask)[/quote']

I have a Thule ProRide roof rack. I avoided going for a towbar rack specifically because I didn't want a towbar on my car.

1.) I'm tall, my heaviest bike weighs around 13kg and I drive a Polo, so I don't have much of a problem lifting bikes onto the roof. Short people driving tall cars and riding heavy bikes may have problems. It should be easy enough to test this with your bike at the shop before you buy, though.

2.) This has never happened to me. It shouldn't happen with a proper rack unless you don't load it properly.

3.) Will be more than a car without a rack and may be more than a towbar rack, but this latter one can depend on the type of car.

4.) This has never happened to me as I'm not the type of person who forgets these things. Quite a few other people have done it, though.

Thanks Edman.

Someone one here currently has a ProRide set for sale, so I'm weighing my options up. The ProRide seems quite sturdy and well-made.

I have both.

I use the standard tow-bar rack when I only need to carry a max of two bikes. 

I can put four bikes on the roof of my SUV - a struggle but not impossible task if I'm on my own, fairly simple with an extra pair of hands to help out.

Down side of roof top - is not being able to park in the basement or in the shade at races (depending on the height of the tree), additional drag / fuel cost - for long journeys when averaging 120km/h.

I didn't have a towbar on my new golf, so went for Roof racks. I loved them form the minute i got them, and find them really easy to use. Not fussed bout wind resistance, coz it's a TDi so i can still do Durban and back with 2 bike on the roof at about 6L/100km...

Now... i love them even more, due to this: We were on our way up to Nelspruit a few months ago, and were hit from behind on the high-way quite hard... car needed a new bumper. However, bikes were 100% and we we still able to ride.

That's 1 up to roof racks :)

Yes, some people do drive under things and take their bikes off. These things do happen... to very few