2010 MTN/Miway MTB series

Neilos

Here is some constructive feedback ....<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We have been avid supporters of the National MTB series for some years now and have the following concerns :

1.      Since Sabie race this year sub-juniors (13-14yrs) were instructed by the race commissaries that they were not able to participate in half-marathon events as the minimum age requirement (UCI) is fifteen years (i.e. Youth Cat and older). This is entirely acceptable based on sports medicine research and UCI ruling. My question then is where are the timed events (Marathon 15-25km) for the sub-junior and sprog category? Surely in the interests of growing the sport we need to address this issue.(XC) has a timed sub-junior category.

2.      TIMING?.I?m sure remains a thorn in anyones side but for three consecutive events now (Barberton, Sabie and  Clarens 2010) the timing and results have been inaccurate and late to say the least. This is 2010 when formula 1 cars get timed into 1000th split seconds. The KZN race organizers send you an SMS with your result within 30 min of finishing the race.

3.      General organization. The registration, seeding and start batches appeared to have improved a lot since implementation at the Barberton race. At Clarens there were no maps or profiles of the different routes and distances. The PA system was inadequate in the start chutes and most riders were unable to hear the rider briefings.

4.      Where are the series points standings ? Surely these should be published after two races and every race thereafter ?

This is our national MTB series and understandably certain challenges arise for the event organizers from time to time but for the same issues to be glaringly obvious at each event surely we?ve had sufficient years of experience to get the basics right.

The series covers some awesome events and venues this year come on guys and girls lets lift the bar.......

Stem 100% saam met jou Neilos.

As die "basics" in plek kom, gaan die reeks 'n fees wees!

We hyave it good in KZN

Mr Price timing is the best, period. By the time you get to the showers at the event we get an SMS with results, website updated by the time you get to work on Monday and now after a year in operation the seeding is working fantastically well and I am able to tyrack my results online regardless of who didi the timing. To enter a race all i do is use my log in ID and password and all other details are loaded auromatically.

I agree regarding timing - I rode the Marathon and bust my ass to get a decent time. After the results eventually coming out - it places me in the half marathon with a totally different time?? We  spend a lot of time, money and effort doing these races and expect to have accurate results especially due to the new seeding index!!! I have queried and hope this gets resolved ASAP.

Lets hope organisers heed the constructive criticism, could not agree more with Neilos comments.

There is a huge batch of partners and new riders to the sport desperate for 20 - 35km rides, looks like only KZN caters for these riders, maybe the rest should learn from the KZN rides and timing systems.

Spectrum Sport have yet to prove themselves as a reliable timer of MTB events.  I have had two experiences where my times were incorrect.  One of the times involved a "placing" and financial reward in my catergory.  SS corrected, monies paid over, but not even an apology.  Me thinks they have "connections" that is why they are used more often than not.  I have to concur that events in KZN are well timed, accurate,quick and efficient.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the feedback. Be assured that we will use it constructively and will certainly make the necessary improvements before the next event (Cullinan on 28 Aug).

Sub Junior Cat: We started the short distance as a fun event and it has always been an informal and untimed event, but it is a valid concern and we will make sure that they are timed from the next event onwards.

Timing: The timing is done by a 3rd party service provider and it has been a concern. The problem only started when we implemented batched starts and new number boards and we did have some teething issues. I think we found what caused the problem and it will also be improved at the next event.

The SAS seeding system however works 100% and allot of the problems had to do with riders starting in the wrong batches, capturing of late entries etc. I believe that the seeding will be beneficial in the long run and that it will provide riders with a safer and more enjoyable experience, so it was hopefully worth the struggle.

System: The Company that delivered the PA system realized on the race morning that they left the speaker cables in JHB. We had to improvise and use some inadequate backup equipment. This will obviously not happen again.

Point standings: We developed a system that will automatically calculate the points when the final results gets pulled into the seeding systems, so this will be released soon.

We needed to implement some changes in the National series due to phenomenal growth, and we experienced some teething problems, but I assure you that the series going forward will be bigger and better than ever. Thank you for the continued support. 

Hi Fritz,

thanks for your candid and honest response regarding the issues raised on the series. We look forward to the improvements in the next race and the remainder of the series....

Spectrum Sport have yet to prove themselves as a reliable timer of MTB events.  I have had two experiences where my times were incorrect.  One of the times involved a "placing" and financial reward in my catergory.  SS corrected' date=' monies paid over, but not even an apology.  Me thinks they have "connections" that is why they are used more often than not.  I have to concur that events in KZN are well timed, accurate,quick and efficient.[/quote']

That's why I and my honey didn't do the Wilro this past weekend. I think that the organisers have a financial interest in allocating races to timing companies...and the competitors, unfortunately, don't feature in the equation!