2 quick Groenkloof rants

MaxUmis

2 Quick rants about Groenkloof on Saturday morning.

1. To the guys that found my water bottle and put it nicely on the anthill for me to find; you are true gentlemen.

Thanks guys.

It would have been a long trek home with no water...

2. To the people that don't follow the directional boards... Are you insane? It's hard enough staying right side up with everyone going the same way, now you mix things up by going the wrong way. Ah nee ah kerels.

What could we suggest to management to try and cure this dangerous situation?

BTW the guy that almost took me out, going the wrong way, wasn't wearing a helmet!!! smiley7.gif

In the words of Mr Toyota dog; what a chop.

about a month ago i also met up with 2 guys going the wrong way - one without a helmet, and other one's helmet tied to his backpack. wonder if there's a pattern here ... can't you read the directional signage cos you're not wearing a helmet, or are you not wearing a helmet cos you can't read?  Ouch

I visit Groenkloof a lot. I don't think there is a specific direction, never have been since it opened years ago. I think because its a nature reserve direction is not enforced. They map the routes and you can cycle them any way you want.

I visit Groenkloof a lot. I don't think there is a specific direction' date=' never have been since it opened years ago. I think because its a nature reserve direction is not enforced. They map the routes and you can cycle them any way you want.[/quote']

maybe there wasn't years ago. it seems like there is now, the signs shows the entrance, i haven't seen signs pointing to what is generally believed to be the exists of the trails. it's dangerous to ride against the general flow on singletrack.

i never saw an "exit" showing that you can enter the single track there or am i just a but dumb?

There is definitely a direction for single track. Even more so at Fountains (there it is NB).

(OT) Awesome work by management. Place is always in such good condition. Every time I'm there I cant believe what awesome spot we have right here in the city.

b-unit, couldn't agree more. every single time I marvel at that place. the trails, the setting, the game, it's all just awesome: moist parts of forest trail, hardpack in the felt and rocky climbs. it's clean and the staff is friendly. Now they even opened up a kiosk. When will a bicycle business set up a trailer shop to offer tubes, slime, patches, bottles, helmets, tools, gloves, etc on weekends? It's an obvious opportunity.

Also cool wood be a pedestrian/bicycle bridge to cross over the R21 to Klapperkop. Now that that side has been fenced in it would be a logical extension of trails at Groenkloof.

With regards to direction, it's about common sense to me. All signs are set up to start the loop from the little wooden hut. Going the other way is irresponsible. Havent seen it happening on single tracks, though.