TDF equipment "substitutions"

Christie

Very cool article for tech heads on cyclingnews.com:

It points out some re-branded equipment, for example:

Astana is ponsored by Easton, but use Zipp disks.

Tmobile ride on Zipps, instead if Dura ace wheels

They also use FSA BB's instead of Shimano

Boygues Telecom use tubbies, but Michelin, their tire sponsor, does not make tubbies

Interesting quote from a T-molile team mechanic:

"We always try to use the best wheels, and Zipp is the best aerodynamic wheel for now. So we use them for the flat stages."

Might have been mistaken, but some of the wheels used on Sunday was Lightweights

It's the same in cricket and golf where a player is sponsored by a certain manufacturer of bats/clubs and yet use anothers product. It probably the most deceitful in cricket where the sponsors decals are placed on the bat being used. In golf they can flummux television viewers because the player will use a tour bag emblazoned with sponsors names yet the clubs utilised are that of a rival company.

I'm quite supprised we haven't seen many new gadgets or proto types on there bikes. Doesn't seem like many equipment changes for 2008.

I'm quite supprised we haven't seen many new gadgets or proto types on there bikes. Doesn't seem like many equipment changes for 2008.

Agreed, but that's GREAT news.  Us poor people can't afford to keep up with the Jones', or the Smiths or the Meat Packers, or the ...............

It hink it's Popovich that does not like the Bontrager saddles so his is a Selle Italia recovered in a Bontrager cover.

Agreed' date=' but that's GREAT news.  Us poor people can't afford to keep up with the Jones', or the Smiths or the Meat Packers, or the ...............
[/quote']

LOLLOLLOL Meat packers!!! I'm the poorest of the lot!!! I should be riding for the Fudge packers!!LOLLOLLOL

Agreed' date=' but that's GREAT news.  Us poor people can't afford to keep up with the Jones', or the Smiths or the Meat Packers, or the ...............

[/quote']

LOLLOLLOL Meat packers!!! I'm the poorest of the lot!!! I should be riding for the Fudge packers!!LOLLOLLOL

Eish, guys (specifically GUYS) beware!!!!

"We always try to use the best wheels' date=' and Zipp is the best aerodynamic wheel for now. So we use them for the flat stages."

[/quote']

He must be in a spot of bother from his sponsors.....

Agreed' date=' but that's GREAT news.  Us poor people can't afford to keep up with the Jones', or the Smiths or the Meat Packers, or the Cervelos
[/quote']

LOLLOLLOLLOL

"We always try to use the best wheels' date=' and Zipp is the best aerodynamic wheel for now. So we use them for the flat stages."

[/quote']

He must be in a spot of bother from his sponsors.....

dunno, it's well known that ullrich rarely rode a sponsor's bike!

Looked at the pics on cyclingnews now.  Like playing "Where's Wally?"

WHO CARES anyway!?!?!  If you can afford Zipps or Aeos (like the Fudge Packer), buy them.  If you can afford Shimano (like HP), you buy that, anders ry jy jou ou wiele (like me!)

Honestly though, how many guys go out and buy something because a pro rides it?

hmmm let me see... affordability

for performance ... ooo ....not yet

money wise ... probably never...

Zipp wheels are too expensive for me. I found the article interesting because there is always a lot of depate among cyclists about which wheels are the best. This is not conclusive, but it is a nice feather in the cap for Zipp: Tmobile pros think Zipps are the fastest as far as aerodynimics go.

The manufacturers are not actually sponsoring the teams. They are in fact buying advertising space. They don't care what the pro's use. They want you to buy their products. All they want is your money.

For instance:

Lightspeed = Eddy Merckx (1980's)

The use of Obermeyers loops has been reduced but not eliminated by Mavics Cosmic Ultimates.

I also notices a few other little component diversions like ceramic bearing jockey wheels.

Anyone have an idea what bars the chicken uses? they look a bit like Cinellis