Polar or NOT to Polar

capeofstorms

The lack of regional support can be a headache.

You can of course replace batteries yourself, but any warranty you may have had will go for a ball.

That said, batteries generally last a long time and allows for changes at things like Argus and Two Oceans Expos.

Polar supposedly also changes your seals and tests the unit when they do battery changes.

The new range of watches are self serviceable. And I have never had a problem sending it to Polar. They normally test the whole watch and can pick up when something else like broken buttons or cracked casings are present.

Its is a schlepp having only 1 service point but i have only had good service from them, at the Argus expo they replaced the cracked red button n/c, i've also found the battery life very good.

Guest Big H

Do yourself a favour and read the complaints about other devices. Search for things like Garmin and Sigma.

I will not change. I am on my third Polar.... I upgraded and all other two are still working. Polars as easy and simple to operate, the service AND warranty is extremely good. Even with the schlepp of one service point.

If you are thinking of downloading the data to your computer while you are running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine you need the new Infra red adaptor with the new drivers as the old one is not compatable.

Lack of regional support is an issue but it is far outweighed by the quality of the product.

Guest coenie

If you are thinking of downloading the data to your computer while you are running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine you need the new Infra red adaptor with the new drivers as the old one is not compatable.

Why would this be? Please expand?

I'm a happy Polar user.

Nevva had exposure to any other HRM product though.

Love the brand. And the simple-to-use features.

another option is ofcourse sunnto's tc6

I  lovve my sunnto - but it gives me a helluva lot of problems. On average I have to send it in once every 9 months and it takes 6 weeks when they takeit away. They have also replaced my watch earlier this year... so now i have a new one.

Its a great watch- but the service isnt much better than that of polar...

The Windows drivers that comes with the silver usb IRDA does not work on the Windows 7 - 64 bit combination. So the device never activates when you plug it into the usb port.

According to Polar's website they cant offer you updated drivers you have to buy a new device of about R400.

The Windows drivers that comes with the silver usb IRDA does not work on the Windows 7 - 64 bit combination. So the device never activates when you plug it into the usb port.

According to Polar's website they cant offer you updated drivers you have to buy a new device of about R400.

I bought a generic IR adaptor on ebay for R30. Just plugged it in and

it works with the generic drivers on windows 7 64bit. (This is with the RS800, not sure about any other polar products.)

You might not need the polar branded IR to connect to your pc.

My wife and I both have Polars (Me an RS800CX and hers an RS400). We have changed batteries on both watches ourselves without issue. Wife's watch later went in for another problem - polar changed the battery again, re-sealed the watch and fixed her wind sensor. The service was very fast - had the watch back in 4 days.

I don't know which model you were looking at, but I can highly recommend the RS800. I love my polar!

I bought a generic IR adaptor on ebay for R30. Just plugged it in and it works with the generic drivers on windows 7 64bit. (This is with the RS800' date=' not sure about any other polar products.) You might not need the polar branded IR to connect to your pc.

[/quote']

I can confirm this. A friend of mine has an RS400 and he also uses a R50 IR thingy which I got on ebay for him. Works just as well as my original polar IR thingy (the RS800CX comes with one).