Powertap/Garmin advice

maddox

I've been holding out to see what happens with the new Vector / Metrigear product that was demo'd at Interbike last year but see there have been further delays..  http://www.metrigear.com/news/

I'm now thinking I should just go with a Powertap.  I'm looking at either the Elite+ or the Pro+.  I plan to use this with a Garmin 500.  I see that the Elite doesnt have onboard analysis - what does this mean and is this only for the head unit? 

Are there any other advantages (besides the weight saving) to go with the Pro unit?

thanks.

I see that the Elite doesnt have onboard analysis - what does this mean and is this only for the head unit? 

Exactly. The head unit that comes with the complete Elite+ package has reduced features compared with the others. Since you'll be buying the hub only, this isn't a problem for you.

The only difference between the Elite+ and Pro+ is that the latter has an aluminium axle (so weighs less). Their hub functionality is the same.

If you going to use another head unit instead of the Garmin you might have a look at the Joule, from what I've heard it really user friendly unlike the PowerTap head unit