Hard or Soft Tail

Darastaman

New to the Hub...Guess this is a boring question...Brand new to mtb sport and need advice on Hard or Soft Tail...1,83m tall weight +/-100kg planning on offroad fun rides, entry to rides of short to medium distance, no serious racing more a keep fit and trim down strategy...live in slowveld with mega miles of forests to ride...Please help...

Ok if budget is not part of equation it seems that soft is the way to go..And yeah way over 20 years old....Thanx so far to everyone that has added advice keep it coming almost convinced....

Comments on the KHS XC604?...Is this a good soft option based on value for money with particular reference to the specs...

Had the same dilemma this morning.

It depends on your budget. If you're going soft-tail, then don't go cheap.

I'm in the price bracket of a reasonable hard-tail and the lower end soft-tails.

I decided on hard with decent components.

I'll probably buy a soft-tail frame in a few months.....  

Once you've ridden a high end full suspension, you'll never go back to a hardtail, ever. 

And you don't need R50k to build a sub 11kg full susp... you can easily build a sub 10.5kg full susp for under R30K if buying the right parts from overseas... or locally... KCNC stuff are actually cheaper locally than on eBay...

I've got both, don't think the soft tail is such a big deal: shox prove their worth going down bumpy hills and its more about the front one i.m.h.o.  

And more travel means more energy absorbed = lost momentum

I have a soft tail Volcan FS2 that I made a few changes to . Only done about 10 rides,  2009 @ 10.9 Kg .It's an awesome ride and easy on the ass...