Merida AM3000

2teeth

hi people

i am looking into buying a Merida Am3000 in the next month or so. i have been doing a bit off shopping and looking around and found the Commencal Meta 5.5. it looks like a nice bike so now i am stuck between the 2 bikes.

does anyone have any off these bikes? any info on either would be highly appreciated!!

PS. i am looking for a bike that i can ride on all day long and on one that can take a bit off a beating. i dont wanna do massive jumps and drops but if something small comes along i am going to want to hit it!!! will these bikes handle it?

thanks alot!!

I would go with the commencal Meta 5.5 great bike and has the back up service to match..

PM MichH, she has the Common Saal Wink Meta 5.5 and by all accounts loves it.

Don't know too much about the Merida but there is one being advertised for sale on this site.

The Giant Trance is a nice bike, but does tend to bend quite easily LOL

But the ultimate bike is the one, the only Santa Cruz..... and guess what there is not one but two brand new for Sale at Mikes Bikes, a Superlight and a Heckler.

cool thanks for the answers!!

i am not to fond of the gaint bikes too be honest. i have looked at the santa cruz, it was a blur i think?

price is a option, unfortunately......

Pity money is the deciding factor because you could always get one of these. ( they do come it whilte also)

http://www.morewoodbikes.com/images/bikes-2007/shova-st/shova-st-builtup.jpg

yip that is nice, i will agree.

when i was buying a downhill bike i was warned against the morewoods cause everyone said the swingarms break. but i have never seen one break so i geuss it doesnt happen or it was sorted out.

but i will say it stays nice.

That thing looks like a tank, how much does it weigh?

Or maybe its just the "desert-storm" colour scheme that gives me that impressionSmile

I'm not very knowledgable about AM bikes, but isnt the rear shock on that beast the same as on say a Giant Anthem (fox RP2 or thereabouts) which weighs 12kgs

If so, the travel's the same, so what's the advantage? 

Hey 2teeth,

I am from the company importing the Commencals. If you are interested we have a demo Large Meta 5.5.3 and a small Meta 5.5.2, which you can test if you wish. I will be happy to meet with you for a ride.

The Meta 5.5.1 was just tested by MBR UK magazine and achieved full marks 10/10. If you want I can forwarded the article to you. There is also a review in the latest Mountain Biker (South Africa)

Cheers,

Jean-Luc

Love my Giant Trance 1....yeah ok it's got a dent...but jeez...that was on a DH course ;)

weight is 12.5 kg's ;)

I have recently purchased a Meta 5.5 and I'm very happy with both the bike and the service offered by the local distributors (see Jean-Luc above).

I purchased the bike as a trail bike, not so worried about the weight, looking more for big travel and stability. I found excellent reviews on www.mtbr.com, and demo'd a bike before purchasing.

My bike is heavy at 14.5kg on the Large, but I bought the 5.5.3. If you buy the 5.5.1, the weight comes down to 12.5kg. The bike is stable, descends very fast, and corners well. The rear suspension design has the benefits of a single pivot design, but the shock is remotely activated, and I have found pedal bob is slight to non-existant.

I have a friend who writes for one of the local bike mags, who is also on the SA Downhill team for 2007, he has also just purchased one. I would recommend it.

Hey 2teeth' date='

I am from the company importing the Commencals. If you are interested we have a demo Large Meta 5.5.3 and a small Meta 5.5.2, which you can test if you wish. I will be happy to meet with you for a ride.

The Meta 5.5.1 was just tested by MBR UK magazine and achieved full marks 10/10. If you want I can forwarded the article to you. There is also a review in the latest Mountain Biker (South Africa)

Cheers,

Jean-Luc
[/quote']

big ups to companies offering demo models Clap