Frame advice please!

mtb_Josh

I really need some advice at the moment - cant decide which frame to buy!

I cracked my last frame - it was an orbea mtb frame and it cracked on the right chainstay. My problem is that I bought it 2nd hand about a year ago, so no warranty smiley19.gif

So I just got a LITTLE cash and need to buy a frame - At the moment I have 3 choices:

1. Import an unbranded carbon frame - It has a warranty but it would be a mission to send it back to china etc.

2. Buy a 2nd hand alu frame (a bit cheaper) and hope it doesnt crack.

3. Buy a new alu frame locally that weighs the same as a carbon frame - Problem is that its not from a shop so no warranty either...

Am I just being paranoid about the whole cracking thing? or does it happen often?

Why not PM Kiwi to see what scandium On One's he has? On One's are generally very competatively priced.

If you worried about cracking then don't get a plastic bike. At least if you get a ding on alu or steel bike it is not going to fail "immediately". That said, modern carbon bikes are pretty well made and re-inforced accordingly. Alu bikes don;t generally crack unless you can them, have a fault (warantee item then...?) or they get a bad impact and fail from there.

If you want an alu frame that weights carbon weight, you will be paying long dollars.

Otherwise keep it real with some steel! Bomb proof, compliant and there is nothing quite like the ride of a steel bike. Cheap too (unless you aiming at Reynolds tubing or something).

Seriously, try Kiwi, he may be the answer...

Thanks, Ja, still considering an On One. Although I have kind of narrowed down my choice to 3 frames:

1. A carbon blank from china (just got a quote from a company - not too bad!)

2. A new BeOne Karma 2009 from Jooste https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=83094&PN=1&EN=TS

3. A 2nd hand giant xtc zero (alu) from an lbs for a bit less - then I can buy a nice seatpost etc.

The carbon blank and BeOne seem to be of a similar weight and similar price. So: carbon with warranty in china or alu with no warranty?

Take the carbon if you got the budget and can wait, is the co. legit ?

its new and atleast you have a warranty even if its difficult to return, with the beone you got nothing. 

Otherwise XTC is cheap and you can maybe upgrade some parts via the hub (you need new tyres perhaps ? But I've got 2 that I can give you, as with the 2nd wheelset I dont need spare tyres, pm me) so keep that in mind and the lbs will give you the full giant garantee (lifelong afik) as well. 

I checked the frame, I dont think its even been offroad, no chain marks, downtube nicks or scrathces anywhere.  Will see if they can do a free build over for you. 

Was your bike insured?

No, unfortunately not. Its not really a top end frame anyway... But I think I should look into insurance when I get the new frame.

Take the carbon if you got the budget and can wait' date=' is the co. legit ?

its new and atleast you have a warranty even if its difficult to return, with the beone you got nothing.?

?

Otherwise XTC is cheap and you can maybe upgrade some parts via the hub (you need new tyres perhaps ? But I've got 2 that I can give you, as with the 2nd wheelset I dont need spare tyres, pm me)?so keep that in mind and the lbs will give you the full giant garantee (lifelong afik)?as well.?

?

I checked the frame, I dont think its even been offroad, no chain marks, downtube nicks or scrathces anywhere.? Will see if they can do a free build over for you.?
[/quote']

Seems as if its legit - another hubber ordered from them about 2 months ago and he says its in the country. I guess I can wait, I still have my merida to ride if my orbea gives in.

I think what I'm going to do is go and have a look at the other frames tomorrow and then decide. Which shop is the xtc at again?

I bought a set of racing ralph evos the other day, so I should be sorted for now - I'd like to use them for races only, but I only have 1 wheelset... But thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it if I can find a heavy set of training wheels smiley2.gif

On one scandal is a very nice frame, the quality of the joints and finishing is very good. At 1.65kg its light enough, but it still feels sturdy. Its good to have peace of mind knowing the frame is brand new.

EDIT : That BeOne Karma looks really cool as well, would definitely consider it depending on the condition.

On one scandal is a very nice frame' date=' the quality of the joints and finishing is very good. At 1.65kg its light enough, but it still feels sturdy. Its good to have peace of mind knowing the frame is brand new.EDIT : That BeOne Karma looks really cool as well, would definitely consider it depending on the condition.[/quote']

Yea, Scandal looks good, but its R3600 for a 1.65kg frame. The carbon frame is $300 (Probably about R2800 with taxes) for a lighter frame (busy finding out exact weight)

But I'll definitely have a good look at the Karma tomorrow, I still like it a lot.

Go for the blank Carbon frame. You cannot go wrong there. I got one almost a year ago and i'm not sorry.

So I just went and checked both frames out and it hasn't made my decision making any easier! The Giant frame is actually brand new, just a 2006 model. The BeOne is also brand new and a 2009 model but is quite a bit heavier than expected (kitchen scale says 1700g), although it seems to be good quality and wins in the looks department. Sigh smiley5.gif

In the end I bought the Giant xtc zero. Its old stock but at least I get a warranty with it and it didnt cost an arm and a leg. Now I just have to find a seatpost and then I'll post some pics.