Tires for the Lion Man

brad890

hi guys i'm gonna be doing the lion man for the first time this year, and was wondering if you guys could help me out, what tires should i run for the race? at the moment have got 2 maxxis larsen tt's on, but was wondering your guys opinion who've done the race before?

thanks allot

Brad

I have'nt done the race, but if you have'nt had any issues with your larsens, I would'nt change them.

One thing I would recomend, you should probably be running tubeless, as I think that part of the world, there are a zillion thorns.

Other than that just take a spare tube or 2 and some bombs :)

Lion Man is my first race, so i'm also watching this topic. but must agree with Zula, been going to that area forever, and most definitely loads of thorns and dry sandy conditions, so tubeless and spares, probably very little chance of muddy conditions, even if there has been rain the ground is very compacted.

My mountain kings might be overkill. ?

I've done the race before. Lots of loose sand on the first 40. Second 40 not so much and some big hills with a concrete path on it otherwise some decent jeep track. Take a shovel in case you get bogged down up to the BB and need to dig the wheels out :) Should be fine with the  maxxis larsen tt's - I did it with Spesh Fast Trak's which are very similar in tread pattern. Be sure to run tubeless though as you could run into some major thorns.

i havent done it either but, i unfortunately cant afford tubeless right now so i am running thornproof tubes and oko sealant,

not to worried about weight as long as i dont have to spend 15 min on the side of the road changing tubes or fixing punctures!

see you there

My first race, and apparently its pretty tough, so look out for a black Santa Cruz coming flying past you on the downhill, and me sliding along right behind it...

thanks for the help guys really appreaciate it smiley20.gif and good luck to all the guys like me riding it for the first time lol.

oh and xris take a look at this website http://bikemag.com/diy/tubeless-tire/

or this post for a alternative tubeless

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=24545

i've done it with my tires and its working perfectly, used to have to stop and fix a flat at least once a ride everytime i went out, and after doing it, have not had a problem since, and you dont need tubeless tires to do it, i've got the standard larsens at the moment, the side walls leaked allot but the joe's sorted that out, and should only cost about R160, (100 for joes and 60 for 2 bmx tubes) hopefully that helps

Beware all that thick sand: first response is to power through it but that can bring on the dreaded cramps. Softish tyres are good and if you go fast enough you glide over it, but that was much easier in my motorbike days lol. 

Thanks Brad890 i think i will give it a try! i have a set of brand new kenda karma's that i am gonna be using so i hope it works..

well if you gonna use Karma's i'm pretty sure it should work, because they have a tubeless range only difference is that the non-tubeless have a much thinner side wall so they tend to leak or at least thats what i've found digging on the web.

just make sure your not shy on the soap so you can see where they are leaking and get the joe's to seal it. and you'll need either one of those co2 bombs or will have to pop in to the petrol station so you can use their compressor for that innitail inflation, as you need that innitial burst of air to push the edge of the tire against the rim and form a seal, a floor pump doesn't work for that trust me i tried lolConfused . oh and just make sure you do it a while before the race incase it doesn't work for some funny reason.

but good luck, worked for me don't see why it shouldn't work for anyone else lol

i will be running the new rubena charybsis tubeless. it is very light and a soft compound. the sidewall is not that strong but lets hold thumbs it will last...

last year i used kenda small block. looks cool but never again thank you!