UST sidewall woes

acroblanc

hi,

my third ust tyre(in 3 months) with a side wall cut and obviuosly the lowest milage of the lot(all less than 200km), first 2 complete losses. the current tyre that iam trying to salvage has more of a puncture wound. really smallandd just above the rim. shouk]ld plugging it be attempted or should i let it go. sealant just not doing the job(oko).

ideas?

sounds as if you not inflating your tires enough. tubeless can also snakebite between the rim and a rock - typically just above the rim. i'd try salvaging it...

Sealant wont seal the sidewall and I dont think a plug will last, you could try sewing it closed with needle and a nylon type thread or maybe using a stick on tyre boot from park tool

it was a nail that stuck from the top of the tyre trough to the sidewall. plugged the top bit but just not getting that sidewall sealed. plug it?

I have repaired a few sidewall cuts by first cleaning the inside of the tyre well then doing a normal repair with a patch and solution. Once it is dry I also sew it together with dental floss through the patch.

Have never 'tossed'a tyre because of a cut sidewall and some were pretty bad!

Sealant wont seal the sidewall and I dont think a plug will last' date=' you could try sewing it closed with needle and a nylon type thread or maybe using a stick on tyre boot from park tool[/quote']

This is good advice - exactly what I would have done!!Clap

What tyres are you using?

My S-Works "The Captain" performed well over some pretty varying and rough/rocky terrain. Initially I thought the sidewalls looked like they wouldn't last long at all, but they seriously impressed me.

Just put on a regular Specialized The Captain (wanted 26x2.0 instead of 26x2.2) and a Specialized Fast Trak LK at the back. Even though they weigh a bit more, they look quite a lot tougher than the S-Works models.

Stan's for the win. :)