Downtime 26/04 - 27/04

Matt

Hi Everyone,

First off I'd like to apologise for the downtime since 1pm yesterday. I've had an incredibly frustrating day or so dealing with our Web Hosting company with very little success.

What happened (in short) was that, following the successful migration of our database to the new server on 23/04, their engineers where looking into a small issue. In an attempt to address it, they made changes (without my consent) which affected our database at approximately 1pm yesterday.

Unfortunately after numerous attempts and hours troubleshooting they were unable to restore a backup from yesterday (26/04) and have had to revert to a backup from 25/04 at 6am.

What this means is that all posts, PMs, user registrations and any changes made to profiles between 6am on 25/04 and 1pm on 26/04 have been lost.

Once again, our apologies for the downtime and the inconvenience of the data lost. I will be taking this matter further with our Web Hosts to get some real answers.

We are going to move to a dedicated server with a different hosting company in May. What this will mean is that we'll have far more control over the server and will be able to react to any similar issues more efficiently.

Thank you for the hard work guys. smiley32.gif

I didn't know what to do with myself today - realized how much time I spend daily on the Hub.

I am in IT so i know the stress On my part no worries and well done for sorting this out on the public holiday

I agree with scott was did not relaize how much time i spend on the site and love it

Let me guess...they blamed the network...ha ha

You provide an invaluable service for which I am thankful.

Dankie!

Thanks for Helping me save my Data Bundle / Airtime.

I was using my Cellphone to Google and Post for the last Two weeks, as my Laptop was also down for repair and only got returned Yesterday. 

Thanks Matt

ClapClapClap

John

Hi Everyone' date='

First off I'd like to apologise for the downtime since 1pm yesterday. I've had an incredibly frustrating day or so dealing with our Web Hosting company with very little success.

What happened (in short) was that, following the successful migration of our database to the new server on 23/04, their engineers where looking into a small issue. In an attempt to address it, they made changes (without my consent) which affected our database at approximately 1pm yesterday.

Unfortunately after numerous attempts and hours troubleshooting they were unable to restore a backup from yesterday (26/04) and have had to revert to a backup from 25/04 at 6am.

What this means is that all posts, PMs, user registrations and any changes made to profiles between 6am on 25/04 and 1pm on 26/04 have been lost.

Once again, our apologies for the downtime and the inconvenience of the data lost. I will be taking this matter further with our Web Hosts to get some real answers.

We are going to move to a dedicated server with a different hosting company in May. What this will mean is that we'll have far more control over the server and will be able to react to any similar issues more efficiently.[/quote']

In case you aren't aware of it, the "Events" link is missing from the "Forums" menu. It used to link to this section: Events. :)

Just letting you know in case you weren't aware of it...

Well done it getting it sorted on Freedom Day.

The "GROUP RIDES" is missing from the Forums section, hopefully you can put it back.

Thumbs%20Up

Gotta love IT.  It probably caused by some wonderful Microsoft bug.

Nice to be on the other side of the fence for a change.  Normally I'm the one stressing trying to restore databases etc.

Has any thought been given to using a Linux backend or is that impossible with the forum software ?

The Thug2010-04-28 04:48:13

Has any thought been given to using a Linux backend or is that impossible with the forum software ?

It's actually in the pipeline. As I mentioned in my initial post, we're planning to move to a new hosting provider in May. The plan is to go with a Linux based dedicated server. Up to now we've been on a Windows based shared server.

The current forum software is very much Windows based (ASP and MS SQL) so Windows hosting was the better option. However, we will be switching to a PHP / MySQL system and Linux based hosting. From 1 May I'll be focusing on this and many other improvements full time.