Noisy Avid Elixir Brakes

AlsDad

Anything further on this?

Brand new 29er (Elixir's), and on this mornings ride in the rain, people could hear me coming from 50 metres away!!! :angry:

Sand the face of the pads a bit?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me just say that the 600 Hz frequency will be better suited to describe the resolution rate of a plasma and would be virtually inaudible.

Try a figure closer to 100 Hz.

Just my humble coupla cents ....

I have also found that sometimes cleaning the rotor with something like an alcohol swab helps, perhaps there is something on the rotor?

Use it don't use it ....

I thought avid sorted out its noises :( nearly hit the buy button on a pair of elixir CR's this morning, ffs, Guess ill give the shimano saint's a try.

everything has a natural frequency, and when the brakes and your frame have the same Hz, it gets worse because the Hz resonate, thats why some have no problem and others do. I know Juicy's squeal on Giant 29er, but i have no problem with my elixir R on schwinn carbon.

everything has a natural frequency, and when the brakes and your frame have the same Hz, it gets worse because the Hz resonate, thats why some have no problem and others do. I know Juicy's squeal on Giant 29er, but i have no problem with my elixir R on schwinn carbon.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no.

in the wet, most pads squeal for an initial bit till warmed up. Why get all bent outta shape about it. Hell, even car brakes sometimes squeal in the wet or dusty...

CRs are awesome brakes Covie. while your alternate choice is of course awesome as well, dont hesitate to get the CRs either.

I have formula RX on my alu frame. The original formula rotors were also a bit noisy. I have played around with other rotors and found the deore or lx rotors pretty good and silent. Am now running ashima rotors 180's and they are ok. Front one slightly bent by 1/2 mm so causing occasional rub.

But like said before, just ride the bike and get used to brakes making different sounds during the journey. I am glad my brakes are not completely silent because they warm other riders that I am behind them braking because they are blocking my way :rolleyes:

I had a problem with squeeling with my Juicy 3s but it was due to the tyres I was using. The Maxxis Ignitors would send a buzz through the whole frame at 28-32km/h. Below and above those speeds it was fine.

Just a question did you "bed in" the pads when you got these brakes?

How long to bed the brakes in? Km wise? :unsure:

When you have new brakes, OR when you replace your rotors and pads, you basically fineda nice level and clean surface (tar will pretty much do :) ) then you get up to speed to about 20kmh and you hit both your brakes fairly progressivly, so that go down to walking pace, You repeat this excersize about 20 times. Then you push it up to about 30KMH and hit the brakes about 10 times. Then you let the brakes cool down completly before you ride youre bike.

This shapes the pads and seals them so they last longer, have better stopping force, and helps to eliminate unwated noise. Or so the theory from the brake manufacturers goes. It also puts a layer of "resin" on your rotors to help the pads "stick" more effectivly so you should never remove this layer of resin from your rotors with something like alcohol. Just whipe the dust or mudd off with a damp cloth..

Edited by covie

Also have Elixr CR with similar noise / shudder issues.

Managed to get a partial cure by doing the following:

1. Clean the disk and both pad surfaces with a clean cloth soaked in one of those commercial bicycle disk cleaning solutions (aerosolized alchol spray).

Not a one off cure, needs to be repeated whenever noise reaches your irritation threshold. Luckily it only takes about 120 seconds to do both brakes so can be done as often as you like.

2. Replaced the standard avid pads with an organic set (Swiss stop). Since fitting the swiss stops have only needed to apply Cure(1) once in +/- 480 km.

Other than the breaking effect I'm struggling to find something I like about these avids....

The very bottom line. Elixer brakes dont work well with the G3 / G2 rotor.

my bike has been back and forth to the Agents.

there were more people riding my bike than i was.

eventually i got gatvol, fetched the bike, said thank you very much

walked in at the next bike shop, bought 2 other brand rotors, and it instantly solved the problem.

so yes, you can do this and that and rub it with copper stuff.....it still wont work.

The combination of the Elixer caliper,rotor and pad.DOESN'T WORK....

using the same 3 things over and over cannot produce a different result

My Giant Anthem 29er is very quiet.

We've had to re-adjust my friend's Anthem's brakes but it is now ok.