Another cyclist down

flex

Guys, please spare a thought for Damian (polish eagle's brother), who was hit by a bakkie travelling in the wrong direction while riding in Suikerbosrand on Sunday. He is in ICU and in critical condition in a coma, with head trauma, a broken arm and fractured vertebra.

The story was published in the Beeld newspaper yesterday, albeit with several factual inaccuracies.

The purpose of this thread is to ask people to keep Damian in their thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery. A separate thread will be started shortly, the purpose of which will be to warn cyclists of the dangers of cycling in Suikerbosrand Reserve. Sunday's occurrence, and in particular the events thereafter, as well as the facts we gathered there yesterday while collecting what was left of Damian's bike, are alarming and confirm that it is not safe for cyclists.

Damian - get well soon my friend.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not good news at all. Thoughts with the family. I thought riding at suikerbosrand was the only safe place to ride road....not any more I guess

Spoke to some of his friends yesterday when I heard the sad news.  Lets all hope he recovers soon!

Guys' date=' please spare a thought for Damian (polish eagle's brother), who was hit by a bakkie travelling in the wrong direction while riding in Suikerbosrand on Sunday. He is in ICU and in critical condition in a coma, with head trauma, a broken arm and fractured vertebra.The story was published in the Beeld newspaper yesterday, albeit with several factual inaccuracies.The purpose of this thread is to ask people to keep Damian in their thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery. A separate thread will be started shortly, the purpose of which will be to warn cyclists of the dangers of cycling in Suikerbosrand Reserve. Sunday's occurrence, and in particular the events thereafter, as well as the facts we gathered there yesterday while collecting what was left of Damian's bike, are alarming and confirm that it is not safe for cyclists.Damian - get well soon my friend.

[/quote']

This is horrible horrrible news. A speedy recovery to Damien and strength to his family.

Felx, can you eloborate on the apparent saftey issues at suikerbosrand??

Like others have said, I thought this was the safest place in Gauteng to ride on the road. Clearly not :(

Felx' date=' can you eloborate on the apparent saftey issues at

suikerbosrand??[/quote']

Yes, but as I said in my original post, this isn't the appropriate thread to do it in. I will start a separate one in the next day or two.

This is really terrible and sad news, Greg.  I will be thinking of Damian and hoping that he shows the type of strength that he has on the bike and recovers fully.  My thoughts are also with Waldek and the rest of his family. Grees

Thinking of him, may he heal soon!

I was riding there yesterday and it was quite misty. A vehicle passed me and about 2kms further the same vehicle was on its way back in the wrong direction. Fortunately this happened on a wider section of the road. I indicated to them to stop to give them a piece of mind about them driving in the wrong direction, but they ignored me.. It wasnt an official vehicle though as the one that caused Damian's accident. Lot has been said about the cyclist behaviour in the reserve, but the vehicles are just as guilty and most certainly dont obey the speed limit in the reserve either.

That's quite true, Trubie - everyone is quick to point fingers at the cyclists.

I'm heading to the hospital now for morning visiting hours and will pass on everyone's wishes - thanks.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Wasowicz family & Alex in these difficult times. Damian is a tough Pole.

From all his team mates at Edenglen Cycling club.

This is horrible news - especially because it happened in a place we consider safe...

All the best to rider, friends and family.

Word I just got back - Damian doing better, kindey and lung function up, will be ready for operations tomorrow.

It happened at about 1pm on Monday, and this is the 3rd such happening there in about 3 months...Join Supporters For Damian Wasowicz on Facebook if you wish.

Damien be strong.  You have shown your strength on the road, now please show this strength during your speedy recovery.  I have faith in you.