Free Fork Service in Cape Town

Johan Bornman

I need two demo forks for a Fork Service Workshop I'm presenting in Cape Town this Friday.

I need a Rox Shox Reba or similar and;

A Fox F-Series.

I will perform a free service on the fork. That is, labour is free. You pay a nominal amount for oil and any O-rings. You'll pay the full R280 for the wiper seals, should it be neccessary to replace them.

In return, you'll deliver and fetch the fork to Kalk Bay and have it there before Friday noon. You can collect it anytime over the weekend or even Friday evening.

you can have mine. Fox F80 RL.  Have sent you PM.

Thanks but Heinrich was first with an ultra-quick PM. I have you as No2 on my Fox waiting list. I now need a Rox - anyone?

Tell you what Johan, if you take MY Fox rather than one of the two above, I'll let you service my RST Air M-29 as well. No charge. I'll even throw in a RP2 shock if you want.

Tell you what Johan' date=' if you take MY Fox rather than one of the two above, I'll let you service my RST Air M-29 as well. No charge. I'll even throw in a RP2 shock if you want. [/quote']

Nope, Heinrich and I have a gentleman's agreement and I'll do his Fox. But I'll tell you what. Attend the workshop and I'll show you  how to service your RST, Fox and RP2 -all for the price of one. I'll even throw in cuppaccino at np extra charge.

What time does the Friday course run? I've been wanting to attend one of these for a while but it is going to be tricky taking Friday off after taking Monday off.   

What time does the Friday course run? I've been wanting to attend one of these for a while but it is going to be tricky taking Friday off after taking Monday off.   

Starts at 14:00 in Kalk Bay and finishes four or so hours later.

Ill post an innovative list of excuses on my website...perhaps a couple of Pro Forma sick notes as well.

I have a rock shox Reba 29er fork. I rode epic on it, and it's still smooth and not leaking.... if you don't find one I may be persuaded to remove mine

I have a rock shox Reba 29er fork. I rode epic on it' date=' and it's still smooth and not leaking.... if you don't find one I may be persuaded to remove mine [/quote']

This is the fork I want. It will have dirty foam rings and peanut butter grease inside.

Consider yourself persuaded.

Please contact me via e-mail johanatyellowsaddledotceeodotzeda

And I'll discuss the details with you.

Thanks

Are there ever courses in the DBN area? And of course how much?

I just paid R1174 for my RP23 and Recon Race to be serviced, granted bushes were replaced. Nevertheless, I'd love to learn how to do it myself and have the feeling at the end that you not only saved money but also did an awesome job.

Hi Johan, have you left Cape Town again?

I logged on now to post the question "where can I take the 2nd-hand Manitou Swinger 4-way shock I got with the Intense 5.5 I just bought to be serviced?" (OK, maybe the question would be slightly shorter), seeing as I'd prefer someone who knows their stuff to look at it, not for free of course.

After building the bike up, I released that the rebound adjuster has no effect, the shock's permanently in kangaroo mode. It's fine through the stroke otherwise, no funny sounds, stiction or anything of that kind.

Where can I take it in CPT to be sorted out? Not keen on servicing the damper myself, from what I've read it can be a little tricky....

Hi Johan' date=' have you left Cape Town again?

I logged on now to post the question "where can I take the 2nd-hand Manitou Swinger 4-way shock I got with the Intense 5.5 I just bought to be serviced?" (OK, maybe the question would be slightly shorter), seeing as I'd prefer someone who knows their stuff to look at it, not for free of course.

After building the bike up, I released that the rebound adjuster has no effect, the shock's permanently in kangaroo mode. It's fine through the stroke otherwise, no funny sounds, stiction or anything of that kind.

Where can I take it in CPT to be sorted out? Not keen on servicing the damper myself, from what I've read it can be a little tricky....

[/quote']

It sounds to me as if the SPV needs some attention, if Kangeroo mode refers to its "brain" not working. If it is purely rebound damping, I think the oil has either leaked out or is very, very old. Since you are in Cape Town, why not take it to the agents. Cycles Africa is in Somerset. They have a website and I'm sure the contact details are on there.

That is not a complicated shock and you have no reason to ride in Kangaroo mode forever.

Can you service forks with a high and low speed compresion?

Yes. There's not much difference other than another set of valves. Generally you would just clean and replace oil. If there is a specific failure, you'd replace the offending part. It will be very visible, so no guesswork required.

I have a RockShox Reba SL 2007 with a bent steerer tube that is just standing in my garage if you are interested.