Disposing of old tyres

Minion

What do you guys do with your old tyres?

Do you just bin them or is there somewhere (JHB) that you can drop them off for recycling?

from what i understand one cant really recycle the ruber because of vulcanizing that they do to them, most tires just end up in a land fill, or at least thats with car tires, guessing they do the same with bike tires?

With the price of tyres these days, I will use mine till they wear out so much I can use them as innner tubes!

With the price of tyres these days' date=' I will use mine till they wear out so much I can use them as innner tubes![/quote']

Yeah - tyres are a rip off these days - there are car tyre that cost less

As for disposal mine have always langed inthe bin - but maybe a trip to Tiger Wheels or SupaQuick and ask them to dispose might be the right idea - I would guess a lot of their stuff goes back to tyre manufacturers for recycling

I give mine away to the garden guy, his son has an old mountain bike and I generally leave a bit of tread before replacing tyres.

I'm with Mojo - give them to someone who will ride them thinner, that way there is less to dispose of.

Oil and tyre recycling on South Africa is a controversial issue.

Only a fraction of one percent of all old motor oil gets recycled.

No car tyres get recycled. The few you see end up as tyre swings and door mats is about all. A small company in Alberton grinds up some car tyres and uses the chips for composite door mats.

All the tyres collected at tyre outlets go to cement kilns, as does old car oil. That's right, our "recycled" tyres and oil gets burned to make cement.

Read about it at www.rosefoundation.org.

In answer to Ed's question, I suppose taking the tyres to a tyre place is the best option. That way they'll get burned under the right conditions to create the least amount of pollution possible.

Landfil is a poor idea for anything other than food scraps and compost, in my opinion.