Medicine ball at your desk

Generally speaking, is or isn't it good for you to sit on a medicine ball whilst working at your desk, instead of in a chair? I've heard conflicting opinions.

Not a medicine ball...Confused

You must use a Swiss ball!!!

And yip its does work in strenghing your lower back and core!

Try also do some exercise as well, rather then just sitting on it all day.

Oops ... a Swiss ball indeed!!  Embarrassed

Is it true that just sitting on the Swiss ball (all day) can disproportionately strengthen the core compared to the lower back, and hence gives rise to all sorts of other alignment problems?

easy answer - try it and find out!!!Wink-

I don't see why that would be though, if you do it properly and balance (heh!) the workout / sitting with a bit of lower back exercises.

The attempts at constantly rebalancing will not only activate your core, but also your lower back, as you will be using the whole area in order to remain upright.

Okay - I'm no biokieticist, but I think that it's more important to concentrate on your core, and everything else will pull through. Just be sure to do some reverse lifts to further activate the back as well. Just in case, you know.

what is recommended is to take turns. Use the chair for a while then a few hours/min on the swissball visa versa.

Dont just sit on the ball the whole day. You need to start off slowly.

Do the ball thing in the mornings when your still using proper technique later in the day you may become lazy and hurt your back from not sitting upright.

Won't the other people in the office laugh at me if I use it?

I had one while still at varsity, but it exploded.

Hey stewie911 - I'm still laughing just thinking about that explosion. Not sure how that will go down in the office. And I'm sure that's very bad for your back, nevermind your nerves!!LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I am using my Swiss ball all day everyday when I am in the office. I do have lower back pain, but the ball helps a lot, as if I would sit on a chair for 8 hours, I wouldn't be able to sleep due to back pain.

So have you tried it by now?

If not, just be cautioned which brand you buy. You do have brands that do not explode (anti burst balls), even going over a nail, they just deflate slowly, which I obviously would recommend smiley1.gif

Confession time - not yet. Embarrassed

Not that I have problems with my back, but more with my boep. Luckly I've got the anti burst ball!!!

Will keep you posted.

Guest Agteros

<bad news>

The ball won't cure the boep unfortunately. The ball will help with posture, which might lead to the boep appearing smaller.

Only cure for the boep is to eat / drink less.

</bad news>

I will have to eat less then.Wink Will still keep you posted on whether it makes a difference to my core - with or without the boep.

Guest Agteros

The are marvellous for the core ;-)

Those balls are one of a biokineticists principal weapons of torture.

Most of us desk jockeys can never do too much core work!