View MTB trail maps-Western Cape

Dan Dob

Hi hubbers

I have been busy making a few maps of the most popular mountain bike destinations around Cape Town. I have put them on our website here. http://irideafrica.com/trail-maps/

They are  rather basic (We use them for general guidelines-NOT NAVIGATION!)

Let me know your thoughts and where else you want mapped (Contermanskloof and Hillcrest coming at some point)

Edited by iRide

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maps look nice, Thanks Daniel.

Nice web site too.

Grabouw and Lebanon Forests could be mapped as well.

Out of interest (from an amateur mapper), what software and DEMs are you using for your maps?

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals.

Mountain lion, I used to be a professional cartographer so use many programs to make these maps (Google sketchup and Adobe illustrator make them look pretty though ;D)

I use the SA national DEM (very accurate and you can get it from Surveys and mapping in Mowbray)

I have Lebanon forests mapped already and will upload soon.

Mudbream-good idea- I will upload them sometime to Mudmaps(which looks like a nice application!)

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals.

Mountain lion' date=' I used to be a professional cartographer so use many programs to make these maps (Google sketchup and Adobe illustrator make them look pretty though ;D)

I use the SA national DEM (very accurate and you can get it from Surveys and mapping in Mowbray)

I have Lebanon forests mapped already and will upload soon.

Mudbream-good idea- I will upload them sometime to Mudmaps(which looks like a nice application!)

[/quote']

Thanks.

What grid spacing is the national DEM available in now?

A few years ago they only had 200m grid nationally with limited coverage in 50m.

I am using the 90m SRTM DEM which has been void filled by http://www.madmappers.com

Do you know what the status is of the Greyton trails we rode with Meurant last year? If the issues with the land owners have been resolved, that can be mapped too. PM me if you need data.

Gongmech, I'll do one of all the jeeptrack (legal riding) on Table mountain when I get time.

Mountain lion, the DEM is now at 20m country wide and up to 5m in urban areas such as Cape Town etc.

Oh, and the Greyton trails that Dirtopia uses are on private land but you can phone the farmer (his number is on a big sign at the entrance to the fields where everyone camps). It'd be nice for people to ride there more often as the trails close in a bit during the year.

Greyton itself has some really nice singletrack and marked trails nowadays. Visit www.greytonmtb.co.za for more details.Definitely worth a ride!

Edited by iRide

thanx iride for yr info and work on the maps, they're a great help and yr website and offers look good too.

Thanks for the compliments drugslinger. Always nice to know maps are appreciated! I'll get back to those PM's and emails sent to me ASAP/

iRide2010-05-02 12:13:32