View MTB trail maps-Western Cape

Dan Dob

Hi all,

I am a converted roadie to mtb. Been out of riding for 10 years after my bike was stolen. I am also recovery from a small knee op and looking for mtb rides where there isn't to much climbing (detrimental to rehabilitation of the knee), is there such a thing ( :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: )?

Ive done the Koeberg ride too many times to mention so looking for a new experience, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The family trail on Hazendal farm (off Bottelary Road) is quite flat with nothing technical and yet it is surprisingly enjoyable to ride - length about 7 km. The well-appointed coffee shop sells day permits at R30 per person.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am moving to Hermanus in a few months so looking for some mtb'ing trails/routes please.I guess it is not safe to ride on your own,so looking for a group that goes out regularly but nothing too hectic.

Can someone please recommend a good place to look/start.I see there is a cycle shop over the road from Hemel en Aarde Estate where I am going to be living,they could be worth a visit to check all this out I guess.

The Bike shop at Hemel en Aarde is where they sell permits to a great network of trails, very helpful bunch of guys .... That is for sure the place to start... Then there is all the new trails at Wilderkrains Estate... Stunning stuff out that side.. 

I have recently immigrated to the Cape from Joburg.  Staying in Durbanville and see some cyclists riding along the green belt that runs through the area (R302, Lubbe Street, M15 I think).  The locals probably have a name for it but only been here a few days so not sure.

I would like to ride it in the afternoons after work.  Is it safe to ride alone?  Any group rides that happen?  

Thanks!

I have recently immigrated to the Cape from Joburg.  Staying in Durbanville and see some cyclists riding along the green belt that runs through the area (R302, Lubbe Street, M15 I think).  The locals probably have a name for it but only been here a few days so not sure.

I would like to ride it in the afternoons after work.  Is it safe to ride alone?  Any group rides that happen?  

Thanks!

Where exactly? Why dont you just ride up to one of the locals one day & ask if you can join. There is also http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za Club you can join, for endless trail options, connecting various farms & in a safe environment. 

post-3951-0-55944300-1462476341_thumb.jpg

Where exactly? Why dont you just ride up to one of the locals one day & ask if you can join. There is also http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za Club you can join, for endless trail options, connecting various farms & in a safe environment. 

attachicon.gifTrails.JPG

Thanks for the advice.  Will do!

HI Hubbers,

Finally managed to update the Jonkershoek map after the fires. You can download it here

http://www.irideafrica.com/portfolio/jonkershoek-mtb-map-4/

(Please stay off fire hut trail 3 for now as it's not opened yet as far as I know-I just added it in as it will be open after a few rainfalls I'm sure)

sorry not to familiar with Jonkershoek but would fire hut trail 3 be the one where you do that rock wall ride?

sorry not to familiar with Jonkershoek but would fire hut trail 3 be the one where you do that rock wall ride?

No, that is on the other side of the valley. You are thinking of Upper Canaries.

I am moving to Hermanus in a few months so looking for some mtb'ing trails/routes please.I guess it is not safe to ride on your own,so looking for a group that goes out regularly but nothing too hectic.

Can someone please recommend a good place to look/start.I see there is a cycle shop over the road from Hemel en Aarde Estate where I am going to be living,they could be worth a visit to check all this out I guess.

Loads of trails out there... yeah go check out the shop, owner is super nice. The hemel and aarde trail also starts right from his shop. Awesome fun ride!  :clap:

Hi again Hubbers.

Spent a few days creating a trail map of the Simonsberg trails (Also known as Muratie/Uitkyk) and have uploaded it to our website here.

Turns out Meurant had made a map already so it was all for nought but I couldn't find it anywhere online so hopefully this helps you all in getting out and riding these great trails!

It's not the clearest of maps to follow/understand due to the nature of the trail design but I hope it will assist riders in navigating around the many trails!

Is "Bennet's Red" not the Red Phoenix? 

Yes

Well, I love 'red phoenix' as a trailname but the signage says 'Bennet's red' so I have to stick to signage. Wish strava names and sign names would match up. Would make my life a LOT easier!

It was originally called Red Phoenix on the signs as well as far as I remember.  Went up there a few weeks ago and was surprized to see the change. The Plumber remains the same though! 

Edited by Myles Mayhew