Fork with no thread in the post??

brightred

Hello

Ive recently taken off my no name merida (left) from my bike and i want to mount a Rock Shox Dart 2 (right). Although the Dart 2 does not have the same thread that the no name has. See picture below.

How does one install a fork with no thread in the post?

20100502_054217_combined.JPGbrightred2010-05-02 05:44:44

If by post, you meen steerer then no steerer has a thread. The star nut you see in pic on the left is forced in there.

To install such a starnut, you thread the bolt into the nut and wack it with a hammer in there.

You buy one of those threaded thingies from a bike shop. And while your at it ask them to install the fork as well. It will probably need to be cut shorter as well.

on the left there is a "star" in the head tube of the fork.  Go the your lbs and either get a new head set or explain that you want the plug/star and cap that goes on the top.  Once you have that you push the star/pub into the head tube.  Put the fork through the head set bearings.  Put the stem on the tube.  Lightly clamp the stem on.  Place the spacers on the tube that sticks out of the stem, or trim the tube.  Put the cap on top of the stack.  PUt the bolt through the cap and tighten it into the plug/star that you shoved into the tube.  When the star has bitten and the cap is tight, tighten the stem bolts.

Thats a flower nut, just swing by the LBS and get them to put one in.

My advice would be to have the shop install it for you as you must remove the crown race this is on what the bearing run as well.

Which at the bottom of the steeres tube of the old fork and if not removed and installed properly could be damaged and then you would need a new one

To install such a starnut' date=' you thread the bolt into the nut and wack it with a hammer in there.
[/quote']

Or you can also use the correct tool for the job and make sure you dont wack it in skew.

To install such a starnut' date=' you thread the bolt into the nut and wack it with a hammer in there.[/quote']

?

Or you can also use the correct tool for the job and make sure you dont wack it in skew.

Its correctly called a butterfly insert.

School fees. Been there, done that. Use the correct tool.

To install such a starnut' date=' you thread the bolt into the nut and wack it with a hammer in there.[/quote']

?