bobbing when riding

mad bout mtb

Hi I have been riding a dual sus mtb since December and thought to build up a hard tail, It's been built and today was my first ride on it and for some reason there is ALOT of bobbing when I pedal is this just because I am used to the rear shock moving ???Please help as this is very annoying

Not necessarily pedal stroke. Pedal stroke can and will add, but proper set up and understanding how it all works will go a long way.

What bike / frame is it?

Which shock is on there?

Which fork is on there?

"Hi I have been riding a dual sus mtb since December and thought to build up a hard tail, It's been built and today was my first ride on it and for some reason there is ALOT of bobbing when I pedal is this just because I am used to the rear shock moving ???Please help as this is very annoying "

Strange, I had the same experience,I have a Merida 96-3000 DS,yesterday rode my Merida 5000 FLX HT and I could also feel a mark differance in bobbing.( must say I love my 5000 FLX...WOW what a bike)

Is that stand actually fitted to the bike?

Whats wrong with a stand? Strangely I also ride a Schwin Mesa, only the Silver version, and I also have a stand similar to that one on mine.

Save a lot of time looking for an appropriate place to put the bike during my many stops.TongueWink

The dual sus is the one that is bobbing.  THe shock does take a lot of clatter and movement out of the bike.  When you return to HT the bikes response and rigidity is more severe.  You will have to relearn to ride soft and unload the sadd le, ie stand a bit over bumps, or else it will feel as if the HT is bobbing.

hey I didn't say that it was a GT,yes it is but only temporarily as I had no place to lean the bike against

mad bout mtb2010-05-02 10:41:59

saddle too high perhaps ?

Then one tends to over extend the hips to compensate, leading to bobbing.  Could also be that you were tired and the core and stabaliser muscles could not offer enough support anymore hence the excess movement. 

(im no expert but this is what ive heard/read/seen/experienced)

The dual sus is the one that is bobbing.? THe shock does take a lot of clatter and movement out of the bike.? When you return to HT the bikes response and rigidity is more severe.? You will have to relearn to ride soft and unload the sadd?le' date=' ie stand a bit over bumps, or else it will feel as if the HT is bobbing.[/quote']

Thats what I was thinking. like wearing prism glasses that make you see upside down. after wearing them for a while your brain turns things the right way round again. If you take them off you will see things upside down.

Thats my 5c.

saddle too high perhaps ?

Then one tends to over extend the hips to compensate' date=' leading to bobbing.  Could also be that you were tired and the core and stabaliser muscles could not offer enough support anymore hence the excess movement. 

(im no expert but this is what ive heard/read/seen/experienced)
[/quote']

one way to check.  Put a handfull of coins in your back pocket (middle) and ride down the road seated.  If the coins jangle then the saddle is too high.