I or someone I know was Hijacked when and where.

Foxxy

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I want to start this thread because I do not think we know of all the Hijacking that happens so if you or one of your friends that is not on the Hub was hijacked please let us know Where and When It happened and how many attackers were involved and if they were armed.

I personally know of 3 hijacking that were never mentioned on the hub and I think we can better protect ourselves if we know what is going on and maybe start to better identify danger areas so please be specific as to where you were hijacked

Foxxy,

Last year just before making my decision to leave SA  i was robbed at gun point by 4 armed guys after i had drawn money at the bank.....fortunately i had my 9 mil with me ....but unfortunately for 3  of them i know how to use it.

My 2 year old son should have been with me in the car but fortunately my mom in law called me on the way to the bank and told me to drop him off.

There are thousands of robberies and hi jackings that don't get into the press or even get reported.

If only the true crime stats were released to the press.

Had this report sent to me a few weeks ago

Date Reported: 2010-04-20 18:04:38<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Incident Date: 2010-04-09 11:00:00

Reported By: Andre

Type Robbery

Area: GAUTENG, RANDBURG,

Description:
Bicycle Hijacking Northern areas of 4ways

A dangerous pattern of Mountain Bike Hijacking has developed in the Chartwell North area. It would appear that Mountain Bike riders returning from Northern Farm via Herron Bridge to Fourways usually enter via Chartwell North at the gate at Runnymeade - Cnr 9th or lower.

In the last 4 weeks there have been 3 armed bicycle hijackings in the general area see detail below.

We would like to encourage people to ride in groups 4 or bigger, not to stop for any suspicious pedestrian no matter how friendly they may seem.
? 1st 20 March - Husband and wife riders

Two cyclists were hijacked on Sat 20 March at about 10am just outside Chartwell's bottom gate - (a lady that stables at Doug Andrew) her husband and friend from overseas returned from cycling at Northern Farm. They had gone over the Heron Bridge low level bridge and cycled up the hill back to Chartwell. They were held up by two black men walking in the road (one armed with a knife and one with a gun). The husband had his T-shirt slashed open in front, lucky they did not shoot. Their two bikes, wallet, ruck-sack, watches and cell phones were stolen.

? 2nd 27 March - 2 male riders
There apparently was an attack on 2 cyclists in the morning either in Runnymead or the dirt road behind it. I was told that they were beaten up quite badly I don't know what was taken from them.

? 3rd 9 April - 3 male riders
On Saturday 09/04/2010 at around 09H00 we were attached by two armed African men whilst riding our Mountain Bikes, one had a knife and the other a gun. This occurred as we were entering the gate at the bottom of Ninth. The guys seemed friendly and even spoke to us before they attacked, and had just been chatting to two ladies on horseback prior to the incident. They seemed to know exactly what they were doing, and obviously have done this before. After taking two bikes and our backpacks they then went along the path to Diepsloot. While we were lucky in the fact there were no injuries, the fact that they attacked three guys in broad daylight and in the open, indicates just how brazen they are, and with this latest success who knows what could be next.

NB Measures have been taken, however it should be realised that limited resources can only cover limited areas and Cyclists should apply savvy when out there.

Regards

Jerry De Beer
Chairperson

They were held up by two black men walking in the road

attached by two armed African men

Any one else spot a pattern? Or are we not talking about the elephant standing in the corner?
sias2010-05-03 07:17:41

we were held up on friday night 7 0 clock with guns, when they couldn't get into the car, they took of with our car...f**king scary to have a pistol rght next to your head......hate this country!!!!

Amoryn, it's not the country, it's the f.cking people in  it, and you know which people I am talking about.

Had an idea to put up a Google Map showing places where incidents took place (with some details) as well as areas to be avoided. The idea would be that anyone could add an incident onto the map (may need some moderation).

It would be something like this vehicle accident report site in New Zealand - http://goo.gl/yYjn

Is there anything like this already in place?

Do you think it is worthwhile?

It surely will be worth the effort , it's just unfortunate that soon there will be no safe place to ride .

We're very fortunate in the Boland area and even Cape Town. I am not aware of many hijackings happening here. Any reports in CT area?

Amoryn' date=' it's not the country, it's the f.cking people in  it, and you know which people I am talking about.[/quote']

worst of all is they put a gun to your face just to steal R100 and a crappy little nokia phone...and now they think they will be rich if they do that...sometimes I wonder how they think, if they think at allCry

Shocking stuff. Its like another planet up there which is not to say we are immune in the Cape. I had two torch and hell knows what else wielding scum buckets tryna break into my sons room a month or two back. I awoke and chased them off easily, but it could have been very different!! So glad its winter - keeps the vermin off the streets... No bike jackings that I am aware of thankfully...  

I had two youths try and bikejack me on Papegaaiberg in Stellenbosch a few years back...one with a knife...the other had a stick...luckily I was riding the wifes GT that day as my bike was busted and I am way more scared of her than I was of them so they had to leave the scene of the crime empty handed. Another rider wasn't so lucky shortly afterwards and got stabbed a few times.

Numerous incidents were subsequently reported...Papegaaiberg used to be awesome...now it's just too dangerous to ride there.

Oh ya and had an attempted break in at my house in Somerset West...they popped the back door with a screw driver or crow bar of sorts...luckily the alarm went off and the okes bolted. Worst of all is one of the okes shat in the garden...must have been a bit benoud while scoping out the scene of the crime!