Garmin 705

Ikonic

I am thinking of buying a Garmin 705. Can I please have some input and remarks from anyone who already has one.

Great device, some consider it to be just an expensive toy. PC link is easy and besides Garmins own s/w the info can also be loaded onto 3rd party s/w such as Sporttracker, can also be used with power meter and i find it works well on indoor trainer using cadence sensor.   

Only negative is battery life is limited to about 15 hours, bike clip can be an issue and calorie count is not calculated on HR but rather on distance/time.

I saw on a UK discussion forum a few complaints about map issues, have you experienced any related problems?

i have one and have enjoyed it. Calorie counter is a guide and not accurate. It is an expensive toy and should have gone for the Polar

No issues with mapping so far and it has helped me out quite often when riding unknown routes.

To get more info to compare the pro's and cons with other devices do a google search along the lines of Garmin vs Polar/Suunato etc,

I prefer my 705 to my old Polar S725 for a couple of reasons:

• ANT+ compatible. I can use it with my power meter
  • Speed sensor mounts on rear wheel. I can use it on my IDT. I couldn't get my Polar to detect the speed sensor on the rear wheel (but this does depend on your exact setup: it worked fine on my old bike).
  • Programmable advanced workouts. You can setup some pretty complex workouts with multiple targets on the 705. The benefit of this depends on how you prefer to train, but it's invaluable for me.
  • Large display with up to 16 customisable data fields on two pages (2x8).
  • GPS tracking. Looking at a map makes it much easier for me to track down specific parts of a race or ride that I want to analyse than looking at just the distance or altitude plot from the Polar.
  • Massive memory. The 705 can store about 170 days worth of data when recording everything (including power) at 1s intervals. Polar ran out of memory after 8hrs of recording at 5s intervals. This has probably changed with recent models, though.
Features of the 705 that I don't use much, or that are lacking are:

• Portability. The 705 doesn't really work nicely for running or gym etc. I could rig up some kind of carry strap, but it's a schlep. This is why I do still use my Polar.
  • GPS routing/mapping. I've have had my 705 for two years and I can count the number of times I've used this feature on one hand. If I were to lose my 705 I would replace it with the cheaper Edge 500 which has all of the features I use but doesn't include the mapping.
  • Bike mount. The design of this is rather flimsy. You can overcome some of the problems by gluing the top and bottom halves of the mount together.
  • Battery life. Could be problematic, but is not really an issue for me. It's easier for me to find somewhere to recharge the Edge after 15hrs than to find somewhere to download the Polar after 8hrs. It is also possible to connect an external battery pack to the Edge to extend the battery life.

Thanks Edman, that is just what I am looking for!  I am about to replace my Powertap yellow computer because the damn cradle is broken again and I am in two minds about the replacement.  The new black Edge 500 takes my fancy, but the 705 will just be so useful in the French hills to get my way back to the camping (no pepperspray required), but I like the size of the 500 for racing.  I was THIS close to buying the 705, but you have put the doubt back in my mind.  Thanks anyway...

Ikonic I'd say if the mapping is not your concern, the edge 500 is far better suited if you only cycle.  If you gym, swim or run allot then I think a watch type device would be better.

I have the 500 and its great for the bike (though some have had lost data issues) but now in the gym its difficult to use as there is no official strap for it, you can use the 310xt's strap though from garmin with a footpod, so I think ill get those for the gym.