EPIC Hard or Soft?

Spartikus

Hi Everyone

A friend of mine is wanting to do the epic and asked me for some advice on bike choice and so on

I would imagine a person who would be on the bike for a relatively long day would be best suited to a soft tail?

What would an entry level but reliable to finish setup set one back?

Spartikus2010-05-04 02:06:32

If he is going to buy a bike, rather spend the R30k entry fee on a bike and go ride Joberg2C for 15k less... Much better race and more enjoyable!

Something like a Giant Anthem will set him back about R30 000. Good all round bike and many of them at the epic. Try to go for XT, but the new SLX is also good. Can obviously consider the SRAM equivalent as well. Tubeless is a must, so get it done with the purchase.

The epic is expensive. If your mate has that type of money, then he may as well get a Soft Tail. (price not important, since to enter the event, you need to be loaded or sponsored)

I think the fee was 25k per team, so its 12.5k per rider

Others may know the actual cost. Also budget for spares and a mechanic, unless you are going to work  on your own bike.  After +-100km  per day on the mtb I dont think it will be fun.

Soft all the way!!! His body will thank him after 9 hours in the saddle!

Mudda is right: R12500 for the entry, about R2500 for the mechanic package, R1500 for the massage package (optional, but worth every cent) and then still R20-R30000 for a reasonable bike (if you haven't got one yet). You are looking at about R60 000...

Sias is quite right except next year`s entry is 30k. Better to take premium package, tents and food ok i suppose but good nutrition and proper rest absolutely vital. more importantly are good shorts/bibs. Assos, Giordana recommended but will set you back another R1500 a pair, go with at least 2 pairs. Look at spending another 1-2k on spares(gear cables, chain?, spokes etc.) Photo package came at R700 this year. And dont forget that you will use 3 chains, at least replace 1 chainring and need a proper service before during and after epic. All ads up but if costs arent a problem it certainly is a great experience!

WTH, I will stay with my road cycling ideas from now on. R35K for just an entry................. Is it that good?

Problem number 1, remains getting an entry for 4 all these desirable events. If you want to do these amazing races Epic, S2C J2C looks like you need to develop and initiate a new race and get in on year 1 otherwise forget it. Fortunately there are many great stage races at a fraction of the cost - watch the  3 Towers at Mankele

If he is asking questions like this and getting help from a Roadie, then I would question if he is ready for the EpicSmile

It is a reasonably technical ride, and requires major investment in entry fees, kit and time - you don't just enter on a whim! You can always get in - just costs....

Sias is quite right except next year`s entry is 30k!

WTF?!? For that kind of money I want the following:

I want someone to peddle my bike for me. Then I want a 5 star steak dinner and the same in the mornings for breakfast.

For the shower, I'd like my own female "shower assistant.

Then my own personal massage tent with a blond busty masseuse.

Then before I go to sleep in my 5 star luxury tent on my Sealy Posturepedic, a blowjob from either my shower assistant or masseuse, or both...

Sias I thought that was all part of the entry fee Tongue

But on a slightly more serious note guys, what would the bottom line be even on a secondhand bike here, it is for a lady as well?

Lets say.. what would be the least spec needed to complete THE BEAST?

spartikus - sadly not!!!

As for the bike - I think you should be safe with SLX or X-7 and X-9. The important thing is the suspension and I would rather spend a few bucks extra and get decent shocks.

Disc Brakes goes without saying. Same for good tubeless tyres.

Something like this:

These are just some of the bikes and components you can look at to start with and also get an idea of the costs.

I believe the Epic is Hard, so go Soft. Cannot see myself putting down that kind of cash for a race.