protect yourself - pepperspray

kamikaze

there are a lot of bike-jackings taking place.

we need to be proactive and be prepared.

why?

some people think that not resisting will save your life, but have you concidered this?

who said the gun is loaded, or is real? for all you know they are using a bb gun to rob you.

but worse still, who said they will let you live if you dont fight back?

stop being so naive and fight back people!

some say; "just accept it"

i say - TRY ME!

i ride with pepperspray and it WORKS!

it is permanently attached to my camelbak shoulder strap, easy to reach and use.

i have used it more than once in sticky situations;

a. two security guards who tried to rob me of my bike whilst i was shopping

b. attempted car hijacking whilst driving.

let me tell you, the offender goes down like a sack of potatoes (even if you dont get him directly in the eyes) because the pepper causes his throat to close up.

a friend used pepperspray on someone and the offender couldnt see/open his eyes a full week after the incident.

another friend stopped an attacker dead in his tracks with pepperspray when the offender tried to grab his wife's camera.

in all four cases the attacker was completely taken by surprise because they weren't expecting resistance.

unlike a stungun, pepperspray can be used at a distance of up to 7m, so if the offender has a knife you dont have to get close to use it.

statistically it has a higher "stop-rate" than a fire arm

it is a worthwhile investment.

make sure to get the direct stream (not mist/fog).

i use SWAT because the design lets you grab it the right way first time without having to unlock complicated safety catches etc.

i practice grabbing and aiming my pepperspray while i ride, that way when i need it it becomes second nature.

i pitty the fool who takes me on (again) smiley7.gif

http://www.swat.co.za/about_us.html

http://www.swat.co.za/48ml_direct.html

20100503_055729_19.jpgkamikaze2010-05-03 06:22:30

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pfft..I got bikejacked once..while I had pepperspray in my pocket. Kudo's to the person that can use it in that situation.

When I aproach dodgy areas or people I usually get it ready.

I use the ones from YALE Security with the vecrom stram. It is strapped onto my stem for easy removal

pepperspray is of no use if it is in your pocket or in your backpack.

it must be within easy reach, and it is essential that you practice grabbing it so that when you need it it is an action that requires no thought.

Thats the thing, the crim is ready and u arent.  I also have the spray with the velcro strap so its close by if needed

if you can catch a bullet with your teeth , you can defend yourself! Get real. The criminal has the first move in this country as there is NO CRIME PREVENTION! You don't see visible policying, and until  there is decent punishment for criminals, the picture won't change. And the government won't get tough on criminals, cause they want to be popular with their voters, otherwise they'll lose the next elections!

Why aren't you ready? You know the PDA's operate in a certain area and more or less where the other hotspots are, so why aren't you alert? Because it won't happen to you?

So what do you do when you sprayed the poor little defenceless person who is just out to make a living? Do you beat a hasty retreat or stay and "discuss" the happenings of the day?

I saw this product the other day at Dave Sheer Gunsmithing http://www.davesheer.co.za/ . I read a review in the magnum magazine on this product http://www.jetprotect.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=5 I am seriously thinking of acquiring two or three of these http://www.jetprotect.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6 and arming fellow riders with it when we go out.

I do however think from reading the Magnum article that it is a good solution to anyone who tries to hijack a bike.  I always tell the folk who ride with me to stand on the front brake disk, if they can remember to do so, during a hijacking as it will immobilise the bike after a hijacking and the bike would still be rideable if left behind as the wheel can be turned around and ridden, but obviously you will have no front brakes.

P.S. I have no financial interest in the product or in Dave Sheer Gunsmiths so this is not an advert.

Sias theres a difference between alert and ready.  Im always alert but you cant really say you are ready for a jacking, maybe prepared if you have something to defend yourself with.  They can still take one by suprise, cant ride with one hand and spray in the other all day...

Wat van spray, skop sy kop pap, en dan ry?

Of trap al die bene in sy hande een vir een stukkend sodat hy iemand nodig het om sy hol af te vee? En dan ry?

I don't think I'll trash the brakes if someone has a gun pointed at me. What if it just angers him and he starts shooting

Wheight weenie - I agree, but some areas are known to be "trouble" areas, so if you go near these areas, alert and ready become the same thing.

Guest Big H

Weight Weenie..... do you know if you can get the peppa spray in Carbon Fibre???????....... maybe you can import some of it and we can save a lot because you can wangle the invoice!!!!!!!!!