Engen dynamic race in PE- no Racetec timing!!!!

Boeloes

We had the Engen dynamic race this weekend in PE. Last year it was Racetec timed and this year no Racetec timing. And ooh, I could not really detected it in the entry fee that there was no chip timing this year.

For me as a social rider the chip timing is a drawcard to enter a race. I also know of a lot of social riders thinking similar.

I am not in the mainstream of cycling and I do not see all the "wonderful" things that SA cycling is doing to promote the sport so a few questions come up in my mind.

What is SA cycling doing to promote the sport?  This year I must be licensed or take out a day license every time I enter a race. Why cannot SA cycling sponsor selected races to secure chip timing as a drawcard to increase entries? Or , may be it is all about supporting the charity organizations and not about promoting the sport!!!

Why making this point ?? We have now only 2 Racetec timed races in the Nelson Mandela Metropole per year.

I feel done in and my feeling now is that I will not enter this race next year.

Thanks for the comments Boeloes and for participating in our event this year.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the timing system as we decided to support a local, PE based timing system, this year in place of bringing Racetech in.

We have asked Shane Bradfeild to post the results on the EP Cycling website, www.epcycling.co.za, and they will be up during the course of today.

We will certainly take your comments seriously when planning next years event and hope that you will also change you mind when 2011 comes round.

I cannot see how electronic timing could be a draw card. Surely, a person will enter to complete the event, irrespective of how they are timed.

I know a number of the time keepers at this event and the manual system they use is pretty accurate. For a social rider, any possible discrepancy in the manual timing would have little effect. At the most, it would only effect a person's time by a few seconds.

An elite rider, racing for prize money, could be concerned about those few seconds, as those few seconds might effect his position and of course the amount of prize money. I noticed that they did have a video camera filming the finish to iron out any discrepancies.

Also, don't think that the electronic timing is any better than the manual timing. Ask many of the Hubbers here and they will tell you about the huge problems experienced with electronic timing. As an example, I did my first 100km race in 4:04. I received two certificates from the timing company, one gave me a wonderful 18th place overall and the other gave me 8th in the tandems (I've never been on a tandem in my life). The 18th place would have put me ahead of most of SA's top pro riders.

We are actually very lucky in SA. Most races overseas don't even time the social riders. In fact, the manual system is still used extensively overseas.

I do agree with your contention about the day liscence though. Social riders pay this amount which goes to whatever cycling body, but receive no benefit as they are purely social.

Thanks for your reply EDCC. In general it was a well organised race. See you next year with hopefully chip timing.????

Thanks for your reply EDCC. In general it was a well organised race. See you next year with hopefully chip timing.????

Boeloes, with respect to your comments and I understand your point of view, but if you dont mind me asking why is the electronic timing so important to you?

Im asking,cos I know alot of riders who are not concerned about their time, but more about position!
mrm67122010-05-04 12:21:16

Being a social rider, position etc. does not count . Always fighting against myself on a bike. Fitness and health is important. It is just nice in this wonderful time of www we living in to go onto the web and check my results. That is it.

Secondly, not nice if you had something 1 year and next year it is gone.

I do understand the comments made by the serious riders re. position etc.

Being a social rider' date=' position etc. does not count . Always fighting against myself on a bike. Fitness and health is important. It is just nice in this wonderful time of www we living in to go onto the web and check my results. That is it.

Secondly, not nice if you had something 1 year and next year it is gone.
I do understand the comments made by the serious riders re. position etc.
[/quote']

Yeah! I can understand that!

I think its probably also "hectic" expensive to get the guys down here for the electronic timing. Yep! I know you gonna mention CSA again, but lets not fart against thunder right now - hahahaBig%20smile

Also I think last years turn out was also very disappointing, and yes they did sort of come in at the last moment with very little advertising and awareness. This year was amuch better turn out, so perhaps its one of those races that will get bigger and bigger.

LETS HOPE!!

Hi. I was also supprised and that after there was a place to fill in your racetec number on the application. It was my first time I did the race and found imformation about it difficult to get hold of.

I did the 63km race on my polar at 2:25 and when I looked at the results my name is not on it. Plainly this race was just for the top 10. The social riders will start to look for races that he kan see his time and get a photo on the web.

It is a pitty for the charity that we support by riding this event, but if the organisers cant be bothered I will not do races in PE anymore.

Your results is wrong. Some of the people that done the race names don't even show on your result list?????

Bad organistion = will not do this race again.

The same thing happened with Tour Durban on Sunday. Racetech timed the event last year with no hassles. This year Elite timing came on board and it's a total cock up. I personally know of 5 people whose names are missing.

Everyone is asking "Why are the numbers down for this event??" Down from 3000 odd entries to 1000 odd. Same with Amashova. Bit of a coincidence that this decline co-incided with CSA forcing everyone to be licensed.... Hmmmmm....

Funriders (and I mean real funriders as in monthly weekend warriors) have decided not to do events anymore as they do not want to be licensed nor do they want to purchase a day license. CSA has ruined these events rather drastically.

Veloce2010-05-05 01:13:57

I have to agree with Veloce about the Tour of Durban ..........

Great venue, great route but there is something is wrong. There were so many casual riders on the same route as the race. People from KZN complain about the lack of road races in the province.

Is it the standard of race organisation, route or costs ?