Slow Wheels?

AfroJoe11

How much of a difference in speed does the type of rims and tires and the whole wheel make when going down hill or does the tire pressure also play a role in that??? I have a raleigh rc3000 with those standard wheels and everytime we go downhill I get left behind no matter what.

for fast wheels you want the outside to be as light as possible. i.e the rim and tyre. this plays with the force called inertia. the lighter the wheel on the outside the less force is required to accelerate. i.e will get to higher speds faster. all else is bs

When we cycle( 3 of us) I always pull away on the downhills without as much as one stroke of the pedals, and you wanna know why:

Rider A: 79kg

Rider B: 82kg

Me: 92kg

Easy!!Thumbs%20Up

Weight has nothing to do with downhill acceleration. Every item, irrespective of weight will accelerate at the same rate. What plays a role is the numerous forces of resistance. That would be air, friction (bearings in wheels etc) and the resistance of the tyres against the road.

Your weight will affect the terminal velocity though. The max speed you will reach taking the above factors into account.