Am I looking at the right type of bikes??

mark ellis

I do mainly marathon and when possible stage races, I weight 90kgs (ok you right...93 kgs)

Been on a Merida 96 3000 for the last few months.

Looking at upgrading now and was pretty much sold on an S-works or Volcan Pro.

But been thinking if this type of bike is actually the best suited for my weight and riding.  For sure if i was a super competitive racer and weighed less then probably the way to go.  but Im just a normal mid pack rider.

Thinking maybe I should be looking at something with a bit more travel and a more comfy geom,  like a stumpy or scott genius

What your thoughts and suggestions

120mm travel is the new 100mm

Trek Fuel

Yeti ASR5

Scott Spark

Those would be my options if I was bike shopping.

I currently ride a Giant X1 and really like it.

I keep buying Lotto tickets though...

Mark, I'm in a similar weight category and riding group to you. I ride a Yeti asr and can honestly say that even though I am looking elsewhere at another bike which I think might be better I have not managed to ride this bike anywhere near its peak potential. If I find I have my bike 100% setup for my riding style and the bike runs out of balls before I do then I will upgrade and look for something cushier.

Depends if you want to play on the bike or just ride or take part in events IMO .

If you live where there are some nice techie trails and you would ride them then I think a more all mountain bike would be good.

If you ride marathons and dirt roads then I think the merida or similiar is the right bike, as its more efficient and lighter, don't  see you using all that suspension that much ?

How bout you keep the merida and take the money you  would have added for a new bike and get a nice bike built up (or 2nd hand on the hub) to play with then ? Then you have best of both world and you can save the merida from allot of wear and tear. 

I think those are perfect options for the kind of riding you do, but I second Splat's comments on the 120 mm travel thing and you do have a point on the comfy vs race geometry isssue.  I would personally not touch a Carbon bike and a Zula with 120mm fork would be my first choice, but then I have Tokai's trails a few km from home and only do the ocassional race over 40 km.

XC Bike - Morewood Zula or Santa Cruz Superlight

AM Bike - Santa Cruz Blur

what about Commencal Meta 5.5 it doesnt seem to get much of a mention here in SA but gets good reviews overses

Zula + 120mm fork gives you a marathon race bike and a trailbike all in one.

My mate rode one for first time(in a race) in Sani to Sea as his carbon bike cracked at the headtube....he is now sold on the Zula.

I rode the Zula and this bike has tremendous potential.

Doesnt the Zula only have 4inchs rear travel ? if its more comfort you were looking for then i would rather opt for the Shova as it has 5.7inch rear travel.

A Shova weighs a lot more than a Zula and 4" works well enough for general trail riding. Look at the UK guys on their hard tails with 140 mm forks...

actually i checked and Frame weight difference is only 1kg so i suppose it depends if your a weight weenie or not.

actually i checked and Frame weight difference is only 1kg so i suppose it depends if your a weight weenie or not.

Would say that suspension design/function/setup and geometry play a bigger part to differenciate the two (Zula/5''model) than just weight or what ?
Weight Weenie2010-05-05 17:34:18

Definately have to agree with you on that WW. And i will get to test out that exact statement this month at the " buy b4 u ride " at Giba ...so looking foward to that