Tubeless Sealants - Help

Paul Ruinaard

Hi

I need help on recommendation for a tubeless sealnat other than joes white latex. I am using Conti Mountain King Non UST's which I am trying to fit on my rims but it seems to be the sidewalls are like sieves and the Joe's latex just keeps coming out and not sealing the holes. Has anyone had similar problems with more porous tyres - I want to know is there a thicker more fibrous sealant that you can recommend and where can I get it ?

First off how are you inflating the tyre?

Mine were a little loose on my Mavic rims so i used insulation tape and it seated the tyre tighter. Then inflated with a bomb.

Or if the sealant is leaking from the sidewall itself, you will need new tyres.

That is usualy a sign that those tyres are done and no sealant in the world will seal them.
Regard2010-05-04 04:03:47

Hmm - tyres are brand new. Inflation is not the issue, they inflate - they go up but leak pressure over time no matter what you do. I have installed many tubeless kits and know to ride them etc but this is not helping. It is very perplexing as the sidewalls seem very porous. It is not an inflate issue - it is a long term sealing issue.

What is the time that they go down?

I pump mine weekly as they lose a little pressure but dont show any leaks if i put it in the bath of water.

I have had this issue with quite a few of my Conti tyres-they are very porous if they are not UST specific!

I have come right by lining the entire inner of the tyre with a thin film of the sealant before even fitting it to the rim.

Then allowing it to dry out and then mounting on the rim and putting more sealant in as normal.

Do what I ride says and also 'degrease' the sidewalls, they come with a waxy kind of layer that prevents the sealant sticking to them and sealing it. 

Also have a hard time getting the Conti Mountain King Non UST's to seal, I had to use a Co2 Bomb at the end of the day.

Have you tried Stans?

They claim they seal all side walls, but you will need to do the "shaking and lie flat" thing a few times...

See the installation video on their site:

http://www.notubes.com/support_movies.php

I sealed a pair of non-UST tyres with thin side walls using Stans when I first went tubeless years ago, but have since been riding UST tyres; just so much easier to seal and stronger side walls for peace of mind.

Beware of inflating with a bomb. Can cause problems with the latex. Apparently to do with the cooling effect bombs have. If you have to use a bomb, turn the wheel so that the valve is at the top and the sealant at the bottom.

I have never used a bomb. Floor pump works fine if you have the tyre seated correctly. Does need lots of soap and water sometimes and a hand in the right place...

Obviously it is much easier with a compressor, but I don't own one (yet)  smiley1.gif

Have you tried OKO? I like oko' date=' sealed lots of tires and went lots of KMs. [/quote']

In this case the oko is too thick too seal the porous sidewalls well, but mixed with stans could work ?

Have you tried OKO? I like oko' date=' sealed lots of tires and went lots of KMs. [/quote']

Try combo of OKO and Joe's.  OKO is thicker and Joe's thinner.  A frined had the same problem and painted the sidewalls (on the inside) with latex.  Worked very well.

Try combo of OKO and Joe's.  OKO is thicker and Joe's thinner.  A frined had the same problem and painted the sidewalls (on the inside) with latex.  Worked very well.

Oh ratio is 60% OKO:40% Joe's

Guest coenie

Maybe try that Dr-Sldge....you can get it from Sportmans Warehouse....it is the green bottle.....I used one of their tubes and noticed that is has lots of fibres in the sealant....maybe that will go and plug the holes

Have had no problems sealing Conti non-UST MK tyres with Stans. Do as the video link posted above.