Are they as reliable.....

I went down to JoBerg2C as a Private mechanic.

In the process we did see some funny things.

In my time there I built over 2 Specialized Epic Carbon frames.... The frames broke or cracked right at the lower pivot joints.

I also know of another 5 frames that had the same problem. all was rebuilt onto new frames but all these people lost at least 2 days of riding making them un-official finishers.

Is this a common occurrence with these frames. Because if it is the shouldn't Specialized do something about it. Like have a recall on all these frames.

You will see from my username that I am no supported but I think given the number of Epics sold, 5 frames, even though it seems like a significant number to see at one event, may be more of a coincidence than you may think...

How old were the frames?

Were they replaced under warrantee?

They were all last years and this years models....

All were warrantied....

I can see that it would just be cheaper for them to just warranty a frame when it breaks, but isn't it causing more damage as it is bad publicity.....

You will see from my <span id="gtbmisp_0" style="font: bold 100% serif; border: 0pt none; : static; : none repeat scroll 0% 0% transparent; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; text-align: left; text-indent: 0pt; text-trans: none; color: red; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer;">username</span> that I am no supported but I think given the number of Epics sold' date=' 5 frames, even though it seems like a significant number to see at one event, may be more of a coincidence than you may think...

[/quote']

7 frames bud..... i rebuilt 2 an 5 other were done aswell....

Were these the only frames that broke during the whole race?

It would be interesting to see stats from these sort of stage races. Things like how many of each brand bike, tyres etc are used. Then it would be interesting to compare things like % frames broken, punctures etc and numbers could talk instead of opinions and marketing.

I saw a couple of Carbon frames crack over there.  One guy had to rebuild he own bike through the night himself.....think it was a Merida.

Carbon on a MTB is not an option for me.

i have been looking at an s-works for some time now and one thing that did concern me was this issue with the frames.

did a search on the net and found many people have issues with the frames and with the rear brain shock, which is what has put me off them

All these stupid questions !!! In the end of the day they failed , end of story . If two out of a 1000 failed then there is a problem ? IMHO carbon should not be used on a mtb .

All these stupid questions !!! In the end of the day they failed ' date=' end of story . If two out of a 1000 failed then there is a problem ? IMHO carbon should not be used on a mtb .[/quote'] 

That is what I am trying to get at. If 2 (or 7) out of a 1000 frames broke and the stats were the same for all brands, then so what.

Aluminum frames break as well.

All these stupid questions !!! In the end of the day they failed ' date=' end of story . If two out of a 1000 failed then there is a problem ? IMHO carbon should not be used on a mtb .[/quote']

True DR..... I just thought it funny that there was 7 that broke in 9 days.....

Sure ALu also breaks after a few years !! And steel a few years after the Alu . All we now need to find out is what is really meant by "life time warranty "

Saw a Scott genius - 05 model or so, snap its drive side chainstay the other day. A friend was borrowing it - its owner gave up on it cos of all the bits that broke. Ali does break but I have had no issues with my two ali bikes - one 12 and one 5 years old and I tend to ride at things rather than around them. That said I think Carbon is for sponsored racers or the very rich - even if they build frames that dont crack for no reason, you can still damage the frame far more easily than metal leading to a failure. Ever seen a carbon dirt jump bike? Well have ya? Headshot2010-05-04 06:03:55

True DR..... I just thought it funny that there was 7 that broke in 9 days.....

And that was def not 7 out of 1000 - there were scores of other brands and bike models no doubt, so thats a telling and very negative stat on those frames...