philip.maree

What is the best option for indoor training on a MTB  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best option for indoor training on a MTB

• Spin Bike
    • Rollers
    • IDT
    • Other

With winter around the corner and the amount of rain we've been having in Gauteng I am looking at an indoor option. But not sure what is the best since I only have a MTB.

Spin bike is not ideal as your setup will be different to your mtb, but its good for interval work, but pretty expensive. IDT is also good for intervals and less expensive. but you dont have the riding 'feel' as you goint need to balance yourself. also they are pretty loud with mtb tyres. Rollers are the closest feel to riding on the road and is very good for your stability, although it is not the best for doing intervals as you may 'bounce' off the rollers and go into a glass coffee tableEmbarrassed(yes it happens),but saying that, it is possiable to have a decient hard session. and you also cant stand. I use the rollers most of the time but if I want to do lots of intervals I use the IDT.  

my 2c

Spin bike is not ideal as your setup will be different to your mtb' date=' but its good for interval work, but pretty expensive. IDT is also good for intervals and less expensive. but you dont have the riding 'feel' as you goint need to balance yourself. also they are pretty loud with mtb tyres. Rollers are the closest feel to riding on the road and is very good for your stability, although it is not the best for doing intervals as you may 'bounce' off the rollers and go into a glass coffee tableEmbarrassed(yes it happens),but saying that, it is possiable to have a decient hard session. and you also cant stand. I use the rollers most of the time but if I want to do lots of intervals I use the IDT.  

my 2c
[/quote']

Thanks for feedback, very insightful. Just a question. On your IDT, do you use a different tire or should my normal tire suffice? Same for the rollers. Will MTB tires be fine on them?

Look for a cheap 2nd hand spinner.

I've set up my spinning bike to be almost exactly like my mtb.

You can get decent(ish) spinners for R2500 2nd hand

For the IDT you will need a yellow continental tyre and remember the extra amount of wear and tear on the drive train!
Regard2010-05-04 07:46:26

I'd go for an IDT. Fit one of the Conti yellow IDT tyres and you're sorted. Since the IDT is inside, in a clean environment with no mud, grit etc., the extra wear on your drivetrain will be almost non-existent (provided you clean and oil it before using it on the IDT). It will certainly be much less than when out on the trail.

Whichever option you go for, you should get fan to cool you down while you're riding and also look for some way to alleviate boredom: DVDs, music, intervals, whatever.

Rollers are the hardest thing I have done on a bike. Bought mine last week and still cannot balance

I Want to warn you.. You will need dicipline. I have used my IDT about 10 times and sitting in my bedroom starring at my PC screen- watching a movie or whatever is hard work compaired to having a destiantion you cycle to and back home.

I hate mine already. but I admit Its the only way in winter. Im using a IDT PDF, that someone gave us on the hub here, so I figure Im doing it right, its just so difficult to get you Heart rate proper  UP! feels much harder work in the room than on the bike. Its often easyer to initially get up out of bed, but then 15mins into my session I wished I was climbing real hills in seapoint or campsbay, even though its cold and misty.

So Im going to try doing hill running close to my house for real Intensity workouts, or even a little 800m road hill repeat loop near my house so I dont get to dreanched If I get caught in the rain.

Bottom line..

It helps but Its a long way from the real thing, thts my honnest opinion.

You can set a spinning bike as near as dammit to your MTB, I feel 100 % comfortable on a spinning bike at the gym. I also have an IDT, and I hate the bloody thing, shreds your tyres, is uncomforable and is pretty boring. I get a far better work out in a spinning class than at home on the IDT. Take out a gym membership if you dont have one already, its probably cheeper than a spinning bike and the "scenery" is much better 

You can set a spinning bike as near as dammit to your MTB' date=' I feel 100 % comfortable on a spinning bike at the gym. I also have an IDT, and I hate the bloody thing, shreds your tyres, is uncomforable and is pretty boring. I get a far better work out in a spinning class than at home on the IDT. Take out a gym membership if you dont have one already, its probably cheeper than a spinning bike and the "scenery" is much better 

[/quote']

I think the problem is mostly the lonesome struggle vs, doing it in a bunch in a class.

You can set a spinning bike as near as dammit to your MTB' date=' I feel 100 % comfortable on a spinning bike at the gym. I also have an IDT, and I hate the bloody thing, shreds your tyres, is uncomforable and is pretty boring. I get a far better work out in a spinning class than at home on the IDT. Take out a gym membership if you dont have one already, its probably cheeper than a spinning bike and the "scenery" is much better 

[/quote']

I think the problem is mostly the lonesome struggle vs, doing it in a bunch in a class.

Yip, I know exactly what you guys are on about.

Was a spinning instructor a few years ago but I quit 'cause I got bored of working out new classes every week.

So I ended up just using the bikes on the outside of the studio on my own untill I got chased of it by some fat dude who also wanted a turn on the thing.

Now I have my own at home but must say......I miss the "scenery"Embarrassed

Can one use your MTB tyres on the rollers and if so is there more wear on the tyre than normal use?

L2climb2010-05-05 01:24:45

Can one use your MTB tyres on the rollers and if so is there more wear on the tyre than normal use?

anyone ?

Don't be a sissy now, train outside in the winter. Get yourself some decent kit and you'll be fine. We trained in -7 degrees last year and there's nothing like the feeling you get, thinking that other guys are on trainers or in the bed and you are on you're ride..

I would think that you would be best off using a slick on a roller..same as if on a IDT. The tread pattern of a MTB tyre just isnt suited to a roller and will affect the grip. Depemding on the type of tyre you are using, it could cause some extra wear and tear..especially if using a soft compound tyre.

[/quote']

Yip, I know exactly what you guys are on about.

Was a spinning instructor a few years ago but I quit 'cause I got bored of working out new classes every week.

So I ended up just using the bikes on the outside of the studio on my own untill I got chased of it by some fat dude who also wanted a turn on the thing.

Now I have my own at home but must say......I miss the "scenery"Embarrassed

The ladies at the gym are asking for you.

Don't be a sissy now' date=' train outside in the winter. Get yourself some decent kit and you'll be fine. We trained in -7 degrees last year and there's nothing like the feeling you get, thinking that other guys are on trainers or in the bed and you are on you're ride..[/quote']

It is not the weather that is keeping me from going outside. I'm taking some time off from the bike.  Playing a little bit squash. It is a bugger if you like a ball too. Need to keep my bike fitness up and the only time is when the family is in bed.