Ashima Airotor (review in progress ...)

RossW

Hey,

I've just fitted new, 160mm rotors to replace my old 160mm rotors.

PROBLEM!

The new rotors only have the brake pads touching only the outer 2/3, at best of the rotor. Am I destined to lose the inner 1/3 of the usable portion of the rotor?

Tavis822010-05-06 05:02:04

Guest Big H

If 100% of the pads are touching the braking area on the rotor the anwer would be yes. Check that first and reply.

Okay, I've had a look. The pads are not 100% in contact; about 1mm is running outside(above) the rotor. LBS says there is nothing that can be done due to the adapters all being the same size. It could help by taking out washers between the caliper and adapter....

Did you replace it with the same make of discs? All discs are not the same size even though the package indicates so.

Take out the washers!

What brakes are we talking about here?

Tarmac-GSTR2010-05-05 08:37:53

Truth be told, they are not the same brand rotors. The old ones were Shimano while the new ones are Ashima.

20100505_084403_Airotor_used.jpg

I have the 160mm rotors with a 160 adpater to change IS to PM.

Shimano XT brakesTavis822010-05-05 08:48:11

I have XT brakes. The bike or more the rotor and brakes in question are the ones in the Vredestein Q&A thread.

You see, the aftermarket have to try and cater all the manufacturers and all of them are not the same. On my 160mm Alligators they also miss a bit on the inner ring but on my 140mm rear it fits perfect.

I'm keen on those rotors too...let me know if they dont work out for you, or review them so i can get myself a pair.

Sweet, will do that. Got the Karkloof this weekend so a great testing ground. I do know already that they are rapidly eating my resin Shimano pads! So much so that after a leisurely ride around the block with my sister, I could blow brake debris off the rotor - a move to semi-metal or sintered looks to be on the cards.

The washer is between the caliper and the adapter. Could be playing with fire because then the bleed valve is very close/against the adapter.

Yea, the back is a very good fit at 160mm but the front misses by about 1mm to 1.5mm on the outside of the rotor ...

You shouldn't have any washers between the caliper and the adapter, or post mount on the fork unless you need to space them up, in this case you need it flush. Should be face to face. only have washers on the bolts on top.

if the washers don't solve it there is noting stopping you from filing down your disk adapter. Just go a little at a time and make sure that the bolts don't go all the way through afterward.

I wouldn't do the post mounts on the fork tho.

where the bleed nipple is close, just file away some material with a round file to give it some clearance.

The aggressive cutouts will clean those pads very quickly, sintereds would work best, and give you some more bite.

Rotors like this are excellent for solving those Avid Juicy Squealing issues.

Rotors worked really well this evening. Good bite even with the point discussed above. I'll be doing the removal of washers tomorrow and will then get back to everyone on how they fit and also on the rotor performace; very pleased thus far.

Washers removed and the fit in the front is spot on! Don't know why those washers were there because from looking at my pads, the were doing pretty much the same on my old rotors so this is the better fit for both rotors now. Thanks for the help guys!

I'll be giving feedback on rotors in the very near future now that I have a proper bite between pads and rotors.