Travelling and training

Lulu

Ok, so I recently (yesterday) found out I'll be doing some travelling for work later in the year and beginning of next year. for 11 weeks I'll be leaving Pta on Sunday evening and only return on Thursday afternoon/evening, just in time for the weekend races.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now my question is how am I supposed to train while traveling so much? I had a look at the facilities at the various hotels I'll be staying at and it seems I can have my hair done everywhere and play golf and bowls at most. but it would appear as if none of them have gyms.

Do I:

- run mini-marathons in the hotel parking lot? (please note I'm not particularly a fan of running)

- swim laps as all the places have pools?

- pack my blow-up stationary bike?

Was thinking of perhaps taking the bike with (if possible) but I don't know the areas, maybe then meet up with some hubbers?

Any other suggestions?

various places around the country - Kimberly, Rustenburg, Cape Town, Durban and a couple of other places. Might even include Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana. Every week, different location.

ok, that makes things a bit complicated. take the bike. you got rollers? lend you mine if you want. (getting sick of it) if not, hook up with hubbers. swimming's good, and it should be warmer.

The prices on those stationary trainers are over inflated.

If you're a VA member you can hopefully catch a spinning class or two, not ideal but better than nothing

first prize is to load yr bike

Put bike in a bike bag and lug it around.  Ride early mornings from your hotels.  Do a bit of research as to local clubs and club rides and gatecrash some of them.

chatted to some of the people in the office today, some of the ones who've done this traveling thing.  seems there is no problem with me taking my bike along and there is also place to cycle.  when I find out when i'll be where, I think I might make a plan to meet up with some hubbers.

HR - thanx for the offer of the rollers, luckily (?) I have my own

i am in the US at the moment and rented a bike here. When Robbie won the stage last week i pitched up at a ride with the new Barloworld kit..hehe should have seen the guy's faces..very random Geek

In theory lugging the bike around is fine (if you are driving) but it's quite difficult to just jump on the bike in a city/town that you are unfamiliar with. For example I thought that the hills around Glen Austin was the perfect place for me to do my early morning sessions. And they were great until 5 past sunrise when it becomes a taxi highway from Tembisa to Halfway House. I had to head home VERY carefully after 3 near misses.

The other guests at the B&B didn't appreciate the whine of the IDT at 5:00 am either. So ...

I also find it hard to train when I'm "out of routine"

I will be driving to some of the places and flying to others. And I can imagine training in unfamiliar areas and dragging the bike everywhere will be a challenge to say the least.  But since it seems this will take almost three months, I will have to make a planErmm that's why I'm hoping the hubbers will help me out when I get to the diffenret places, maybe tell me the good places to train, places to avoid, maybe I can even join them. at least, that's the plan for now

I have the same problem.  I'm often up in PTA, have got two trips there this month alone, one is 4 days, the other 7!  I'm just getting my fitness up nicely and the last thing I want is a week of no training.  In September I'll be in Jhb for 11 days as well! 

My client in PTA is a cyclist himself and has offered to take me mountain biking when I'm up over the weekend.  I'd really like to take him up on the offer, but am neuorotic about my beautiful bike and don't want to take her on the plane.  I wouldn't mind bringing my road bike up but would have no clue where to cycle and would probably get myself VERY lost.

Anyone in PTA want to rent me a mtb bike???

The best is to pack at least your running shoes ad your polar heart rate monitor.

Some of the ***** hotels have fancy gyms with treadmills that can intergrate the polar HR band.

Also check out when clubs have TT's. Normally Tues, wed or thursday. This makes running more social, and allows you to meet new friends for next time. (remember many runner cycle as well)

If you can take a bike cool. But checkout with hubbers where the safe roads are and always inform your host of where you are going and when you will be back, so that they can search for you if you go missing

running shoes will definitely go, will remember to take the HR monitor as well (thanx for reminding me KF). and also a good plan to keep the people informed, thanxThumbs%20Up

Ratty, bring your roadbike when coming to Pta and just let of the hubbers know where you are, we can sort something out so you won't get lost

I have the same problem.? I'm often up in PTA' date=' have got two trips there this month alone, one is 4 days, the other 7!? I'm just getting my fitness up nicely and the last thing I want is a week of no training.? In September I'll be in Jhb for 11 days as well!?

?

My client in PTA is a cyclist himself and has offered to take me mountain biking when I'm up over the weekend.? I'd really like to take him up on the offer, but am neuorotic about my beautiful bike and don't want to take her on the plane.? I wouldn't mind bringing my road bike up but would have no clue where to cycle and would probably get myself VERY lost.

?

Anyone in PTA want to rent me a mtb bike???

?

?

?
[/quote']

Frame size? road or mtb? any preferences? I am sure there is something in someone's garage.

Put bike in a bike bag and lug it around.  Ride early mornings from your hotels.  Do a bit of research as to local clubs and club rides and gatecrash some of them.

Ek stem saam, ek gooi altyd my fiets agter in my kar. Easy as pie.