Another tyre question(A bit different)

stewie911

So I'll be getting a few tyres. I see continental has supersonic and protection versions.

Which would be recommended for a lightweight tubeless setup?

My weight is around 68kg and this is for xc/marathon riding. What does the protection mean - Is it a thicker sidewall?

Yes protection has some kind of extra layer of material to make the sidewall stronger, good idea but it ends up weighing about as much as UST tyres, although they are then easy to mount on any rim with having to use metal tyres levers to get them off again (ie, taking ust/ready tyres off the stans rims to put a tube in - fuggetaboutit ! )

Supersonic is very light and obviuosly my choice as WW, but they are very difficult to get the sidewalls to seal, the wall are very porous so stans keeps leaching out and the tyre loses pressure, but there are ways to do it, just not quick to do initially...

Oh and the Mountainking weighed less than the race king in 2.2 UST by 50g, was quite surprised.  650g vs 700g.  Supersonic around 400g RK, 470g MK I think.  Ask mamparra or wimpers for protection weights. 

The volume is quite low so try get a 2.2 for the HT if you want more comfort at the back. 

Thanks ww.

Getting a pair of aspens, and was thinking of getting a RK or MK as well to try out.

My nevegal UST sealed super easy. Did it with a floorpump, but they weigh around 770g.

I'm looking for a tyre combo that will perform in sandy conditions.

Mabye the supersonic will be a good idea for something like babbas. Not lots of rocks that can tear my sidewall.

Or maybe racing ralph UST - 460g for the 2.1"

But they are rather expensive

stewie9112010-05-06 02:54:05

WW must be doing a double flip in excitement that you are getting Aspens!

If I hadn't laid out so much cash in the past fortnight I'd also be getting an Aspen for the front, instead I have had to settle for a double SB8 DTC (FR/RR) combo. Will have to see how it works.

Bit of a highjack, but I'm REALLY struggling to get a UST Monorail off a DTSwiss 455 rim. Any ideas?

WW must be doing a double flip in excitement that you are getting Aspens!

If I hadn't laid out so much cash in the past fortnight I'd also be getting an Aspen for the front' date=' instead I have had to settle for a double SB8 DTC (FR/RR) combo. Will have to see how it works.

Bit of a highjack, but I'm REALLY struggling to get a UST Monorail off a DTSwiss 455 rim. Any ideas?[/quote']

Well, it was from ww that I heard about them the first time.

You're letting me worry about the monorail problem, as I have a new monorail UST lying at home that I still have to try out and I have DT Swiss rims.

I want to re-use the tyre if possible Rude! ... LOL

@Stevie911, I don't have metal tyre levers but my plastic ones have done to the rubbish bin after working on the tyre for 45min this morning. I got hot under the collar eventually and just pumped it up again! I'm not sure what the problem is because I moved it from back to front, also a DTSwiss rim and that wasn't that bad. It went on easily as well but obviously has fallen in love with the front rim :(

I had to use a screwdriver to get the tubeless ready bonties off my 355's, just put some thin plastic from the tyre package between rim and screw driver.  Eventually I cut the back tyre off, it was worn anyway....

The Aspens are great, just make sure which model you get. 

I got the 2.1 120tpi model with the 62a/60a compound eXCeption casing

Stew u sure bout 2.1 ust ralph weight ? That must be the foldable evo at that weight ? Not UST ?

Babbas wise, if I has money I would get a cyclocross bike and do the race with that, would kill it on hte flats !

MAybe the MK is good in sand, tried mine the other day and I dont like it

I got the weight of the racing ralph from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24524

It could be wrong.

I bought the aspen 26x2.25 62a from chainreaction. Don't know what tpi. They only had one option and I was in a hurry, so that they can ship today. I also got a conti race king protection. The thinner sidewalls of the supersonic was a bit dodgy for me, as I'll be using this tyre in more rocky areas.

Then I got trigger happy and bought a 140mm xtr rotor and a 11-34 casette. I'll be getting my double crankset in about 2 weeks time.Smile

WW, I've already split a small section of the yellow tape on my 355's trying to get another UST tyre on ... I'm sticking to non-tubeless on the 355's from now on. At least the yellow tape is not leaking air even with the split.

I'm dead keen on trying the Aspen - so light in the hand. When my money tree grows I'll get one for the front.

I was also looking at the RK protection ... decent price and weight I thought.

Kief Stewie, what setup ? Hope the 34 is enough for it. 

Im more a back brake guy so 140 I wont use, but cheap saving on weight. 

The 2.25 is gonna be quite big and fat, around 500 and something grams.  May have clearance issues with mud so keep that in mind though

I'm getting a 29-42 setup. I'll definetly need to get stronger for hilly races, but think I should be fine. Have been riding every hill with only my middle chainring the last couple of weeks to test it. (715g for the whole crankset)

I'll see how the clearance is, as I don't have alot with my frame's design as it is. Figured I'll be able to sell them if I'm not satisfied.

I bought the aspen 26x2.25 62a from chainreaction. Don't know what tpi....

the higher the TPI the more supple the sidewall are and lighter. Solomons have the 120tpi Aspens for less then R300.

140mm disc on the back works great. You really can't tell the difference. I don't know how much lighter the XTR version is but the Alligator one is about 60gr lighter then the 140mm Tektro which was about 5 gr lighter then the 160mm XT..

Not sure on weight of xtr rotor, but having a centre lock setup, xtr is my only option.