Chain skipping???????

G.I.G

Hi guys just wanted to know if any one could tell me wat would cause my chain to skip when i apply force??????

G.I.G2010-05-08 07:39:50

Is it jumping from one gear to another, or is it riding up the cog, on the rear, the first means that the gears need to be set up properly, the second means that you need a new cassette.

deanbean2010-05-08 07:42:51

ya its not jumping gears, it just skips when i pendal hard but if i pedal slowly its fine?

Sometimes shifting problems only manifest themselves when you're pedalling hard.

Give you gear settings a check first. If that doesn't work, start looking at more expensive solutions.

new casette. Old chain most prob damaged the casette amoryns2010-05-08 10:30:39

Same thing happened to me - had to buy a new casset. Do your self a favour, buy a Park Tool Chain Checker to see how worn your chain is. We all like to think our chain is OK, but by the time we replace the chain it has buggered up the cassett as well. Also spend the extra R100  or so and buy a better qualitiy chain. Cassetts are expensive to replace.

Same thing happened to me - had to buy a new casset. Do your self a favour' date=' buy a Park Tool Chain Checker to see how worn your chain is. We all like to think our chain is OK, but by the time we replace the chain it has buggered up the cassett as well. Also spend the extra R100  or so and buy a better qualitiy chain. Cassetts are expensive to replace.[/quote']

Rather buy a steel ruler marked in inches. Those chain checkers cause you to retire your chain too soon.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=73710

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=68830

Nothing wrong with chain. Worn chainring and/or cassette with new chain = skipping most evident in favorite gear.

Same thing happened to me - had to buy a new casset. Do your self a favour' date=' buy a Park Tool Chain Checker to see how worn your chain is. We all like to think our chain is OK, but by the time we replace the chain it has buggered up the cassett as well. Also spend the extra R100  or so and buy a better qualitiy chain. Cassetts are expensive to replace.[/quote']

Hector, explain to us how R100 can buy a better chain?

Nothing wrong with chain. Worn chainring and/or cassette with new chain = skipping most evident in favorite gear.

Chuck, you're almost right.

A new chain on a worn cassette causes the chain to ride/glide over the cassette in what we know as skipping.

A new chain on an worn chainring doesn't skip. It causes chainsuck, a different phenomena altogether.

The differences comesin the way driven and driving sprockets react to imperfect matches in pitch.

You observation about the favourite gear is of course correct.

"A new chain on an worn chainring doesn't skip. It causes chainsuck"

true, happened to me last weekend