Chain Wear @ 200km's

Zula

Hey Peeps,

Ive been through a few chains in my time, but I got a new bike 200k's o so ago, and today after the clean I checked the chain and its at 0.75

Has this ever happened to anyone else, because I cant for the life of me figure out why this is already worn out

Any comments will be appreciated

That does sound low. How are you measuring it? Measure it with a steel ruler as described here:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=73710

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=68830

It may turn out not to be as worn as you think. Otherwise, have you ridden in any particularly rough conditions? That could accelerate the wear. Are you sure the chain was new? Maybe someone's trying to pull a fast one.

Look I know that the parktool chain checkers dont have a good rep in certain circles.

However, I dont have an inch ruler, and have always just used the parktool.

On my last bike, I did 700 to 800 k's on a chain before it indicated 0.75 and then I replaced it without batting an eyelid.

It has been pretty muddy here in gauteng, but still 200k's is'nt much.

I dont think it is a fast one, as the bike was brand new. You could see it was brand new, everything was spotless and scratchless.

Im baffled, but R300 now is better than R1k in a few weeks time.

Again, never a problem money cant fix!

If it was my R300 on the line, I'd go out and spend the R100 or necessary to get an inch ruler from Mica.

Whenever I've taken measurements (be it on research experiments, industrial processes, etc.) and I've gotten an unexpected reading, my first reaction has always been to question the measurement equipment or my use of it. 95% of the time this has turned out to be the actual cause of the bad measurement and the only resultant cost was the replacement of bad instruments or a dented ego.

Throw away that Parktool thing before it gives you a heart attack. It is RUBBISH.

I have one of those and I use it in my bike maintenance classes to show people how inaccurate it really is. I compare its measurement on 5 discarded chains and then the real measurement of a standard rules. The difference is random (on the Parktool side) and always conservative (on the Parktool side).

There is no way that a chain can be trashed in 200kms with any type of mud or sand that I know of.

Dude, that's like a weeks riding for some guys.

Are you doing any maintenance on your chains?

I don't even check the wear on my chains. I'll start doing that after 3000km+

Just keep them clean and lubed.

If it was my R300 on the line' date=' I'd go out and spend the R100 or necessary to get an inch ruler from Mica.

[/quote']

12"+ ruler at CNA for less then R20. You just need to scribe the 1/16 and 1/8 markings in.

Look for one of these: LINK

Nope, it is also based on dodgy engineering. Chainwear indicators that measure from roller to roller are inaccurate and inconsistent by definition. The only way to make that instrument reasonably reliable is to make it work over the longest section of chain possible. That way it would dilute the error made at the two roller ends.

Chain wear happens in the pins and sideplates and that's where the device has to measure from. A ruler is still the best we have.

12"+ ruler at CNA for less then R20. You just need to scribe the 1/16 and 1/8 markings in.

My cost estimate was a bit high. I see that I got my 24" one from Herbert Evans art store in Rosebank for R40.

Throw away that Parktool thing before it gives you a heart attack. It is RUBBISH.

I have one of those and I use it in my bike maintenance classes to show people how inaccurate it really is. I compare its measurement on 5 discarded chains and then the real measurement of a standard rules. The difference is random (on the Parktool side) and always conservative (on the Parktool side).

There is no way that a chain can be trashed in 200kms with any type of mud or sand that I know of.

+1000 We all agree with JB

For less than half the price of the blue-tool you could get an inch ruler or like me, get a 2nd hand vernier with inch & cm on it.

Stupid Question, how long is a chain supposed to last?

I have about 3500k on my bike and have never checkedit