Another PE Bikejacking

Spud

On Saturday morning a mate of mine from the USA who is due to depart our shores on Friday was riding with the Walmer bunch and had lagged behind on Marine Drive along the coastal road when a group of aliens jumped him knocking him off his bike, kicking his ribs in and he also has a broken elbow which will be operated on this morning. The sub-human scum got away with his RC3000 and his cell phone. Unfortunately I have no further details.

That's really bad news as many of us ride that route early in the morning before work and it is quite dark.

I also get nervous to ride past Walmer township when the group from Walmer is on the small side.

I hope the Walmer bunch are going to look at this and come up with a system to protect the riders. Our Tuesday night ride out to Ladies Slipper has a buddy system where you have to know who your ride buddy is for the evening and you have to know where he/she is at all times. Not foolproof but it is a start.

Hope your friend is ok,but the worst is that this sort  of crime is going to get worse all over SA in the next few weeks.

You may be right Gummi, but what route do we as Cyclists take? Love or hate? How do we make it end, because I sure as hell am not going to sit back and watch it happen and sit on the fence. I also never make make decisions when I am angry but we all need to come up with a defence/attack formulae to ensure our safety and to nullify any chance that the thugs out there continue to have the upper hand.

Don't ride alone and give them your bike don't fight for it...it's not worth it.

If the guy is unarmed and just knocks you off just remember a cycling shoe makes a very good weapon.

This was all predicted in meetings early 2009 and nothing was done about it.

Cyclists are riding bikes that can sell at a taxi rank for R500 very quickly....Makes for easy money.

Tourists with cameras are going to be the highest on the list so when they arrive bike attacks will go down.

This is totally unacceptable and unfortunately something which I predicted would happen.I cycle alone on that Schoenies road,as does my wife !

What is this beloved country of ours coming to when you cannot even go for a cycle !

I see 2 motorbike riders and 3 cyclists were all knocked off by a group of a*rseholes going up a hill near Pretoria over the week end.

The time has come for me to buy a weapon.

This is totally unacceptable and unfortunately something which I predicted would happen.I cycle alone on that Schoenies road' date='as does my wife !

What is this beloved country of ours coming to when you cannot even go for a cycle !

I see 2 motorbike riders and 3 cyclists were all knocked off by a group of a*rseholes going up a hill near Pretoria over the week end.

The time has come for me to buy a weapon.
[/quote'] The trouble is that even if it is just you and Megs they are going to go for you to neautralise any chance of you being evective in protecting yourself or Megan and thereby overpowering both of you as well as using your weapon against you both.

I am going to contact Shaun Hannie and see how I can get involved in initiating a safety awareness campaign from the criminal aspect as opposed to vehicle safety. Ask Megs to speak to Fat Tracks and see if they are willing to be part of this please.

Sad to hear and hope the rider makes a full recovery.

I suggest the club/group form a roster and start a patrol / following vehicle and purchase an amber warning light and ensure that there are at least two people in the vehicle at all times. This will create safety for the group by protecting them from speeding & inconsiderate motorists and from random attacks. It may be worthwhile getting hold of police reservists and each member of the group can donate R10 a ride to cover the cost of fuel & pay something toward the reservist.

Good Luck!shaunh2010-05-10 03:22:21

smiley7.gif smiley7.gif smiley7.gif

seems like cyclist are a big target now, heard on the radio yesterday that 8 cyclist were held up at gunpoint near the Diepsloot area and robbed of their valuables - so now even in a big bunch one is not safe - something has to be done!