To lend or not to lend?

Windbreaker

So I recently did a 5 day cycle tour. Serviced my bike and made sure that my tools & spares were all in order. My right pedal was a bit iffy so I bought a spare set and took that along just in case.

On day two, in the middle of nowhere a fellow tourist breaks his pedal. The tour organisers don't carry spare pedals and I offer up mine.

Now if that was me on the receiving end I would arrange that as soon as we arrived in a town with a bike shop the replacement pedals would be waiting and I'd return them with a thanks.

It's now over two weeks since I lent the pedals out. I've called the dude and I got some bullsh*t story about importers not having stock blah, blah. The point is, the bikeshop where I originally purchased the pedals have stock, but I guess that this guy doesn't want to pay the retail rate.

My pedal is becoming worse by the day. So what do I do? It's not about the cost of the pedals it's the principle. Do I phone the guy again and try to remain civil to him or do I just buy another set, learn my lesson and never lend equipment to a fellow cyclist in need?

Windbreaker2007-07-22 09:04:42

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn your lesson mate.

I am still waiting for my dvds that a friend borrowed in January, I have heard every story under Gods bright yellow sun.

phone him. bug the crap out of him. you showed him the milk of human kindness, not show him what it's like when that milk goes sour!

Why not make this persons name public hopefully he/she will read your posting and make contact with you to replace your pedals. I think it is poor ethics from this cyclist as this has put you in a spot and juding from your posting you will not be lending a helping hand in a hurry again.......

Come on the cyclist that used these pedals either replace what was given to on the day as I am sure your breakdown would have be the end of your tour if it was not for windbreaker, EASY, either replace or offer windbreaker the money so he can go out and purchase new pedals.!!!!!!!!!!!Shocked  

Windy,

Call his bluff and ask him to make a bank transfer instead of waiting for the pedals.

What a sleaze that guy is.

heck' date=' i'm in a bad mood. post his number and i'll call him[/quote']

Funny how these type of things bring out the thug in us.Wink

heck' date=' i'm in a bad mood. post his number and i'll call him[/quote']

Funny how these type of things bring out the thug in us.Wink

LOLLOLindeed, but i remeber when it happened to me once in barberton. i left my pump with a guy and put my number in his cell and told him he should tell me where he is and i would fetch. bastid never calledAngry

give me his number i got lotsa sms's i need to use up and some spare air time !!!! I am awake till late at night tooEvil%20Smile so i could give him some calls !!! hell no man that is really a bummer

post his number... i'm out for blood... after giving up my sunday to marshall the 702 Walk the Talk the "thanks" i got was some #$%^&* #$%^& #^&* smashed the mirror on the bike when I was having a cooldrink in the hospitality area - i got back to find the bike moved and mirror shattered and the security guard "saw nothing" Angry post that number... i got major aggro i gotta sort out here.... post that number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ok, rant off, but personally - post the number cos imho opinion that is so NOT on)

Suppose it varies from person to person, on Sat one of my mates got a puncture and a guy in a BMW stopped (his son was riding in the bunch with us) and gave us a wheel.

We arranged to meet him at the Wimpy on Hennie Alberts and returned his wheel.

Thanks to whoever he was we appreciate his help.

With regards to this other Censoreder post his name and phone number, ID's are easy to come by with that info and with an ID number lives can be made a very sad misery.

Donated a pump once but more my own fault than the lady recipients! Passed a lady at Induna struggling with a puncture, now unlike DirtRider (who would have stopped and converted her wheel to tubeless quickly!) I am not nearly as chivalrous! Asked what she needed and she asked for a pump (u not o!). I quickly whipped mine out of my C/back and gave it to her!

Said 'I'll get it at the finish'. We couldn't stay very long after so left before she had finished. I got over it and bought a spanking fancy shiny new one!

shocking that people cant return things that are lent to them, nevermind not include a token of appreciation in its return.....