Voortrekker MTB

River Rat

I picked up a flyer at Groenkloof promoting MTB trails at the Voortrekker Monument ( would that translate to the "Front Puller monument"?). They boast upto 25km of MTB trails.

Has anyone tried this and what is it like compared to Groenkloof?

I did it about 2 weeks ago. There is quite a bit of rocky Jeep track. They did some lovely single track on the NW side. It was very tight and new and with all the rain it was a little washed as it is still very new. you sometime have the option of the easy jeep track or ruff single track, all very rideable but tricky for the beginers. I came up to 10km for the loop but there are plenty of other options too. R 20.00 entry does not give you as may options as Groenkloof but is a nice change. The start isnt very well marked but you will find it. I`m taking my wife there this weekend. Hope this helps

Thanks Vinny.

I agree, Groenkloof is fantatsic but it is great to have another option. I will give it a go in the near future.

I see that they are planning to have a race on the 7th August maybe some of the single tracks will be upgraded for that.

If you want ALLOT of climbing practice(esp. technical stuff) the monument is the place to go!Thumbs%20Up

I just wish they would open up the climb to the radio tower - its a really good climb to train on - long and tech. As Regard said, its good training ground but hard on the bike. Would have been awsome if they could join Fountains and Voortrekker the way they did Fountains/Groenkloof. It would give you a very nice loop with all kinds of terain.

Voortrekker is just very hard to race especially when its wet. I recon if they make some more tarils and they get time to set propperly it could be on par with Groenkloof.

I just wish they would open up the climb to the radio tower - its a really good climb to train on - long and tech. As Regard said' date=' its good training ground but hard on the bike. Would have been awsome if they could join Fountains and Voortrekker the way they did Fountains/Groenkloof. It would give you a very nice loop with all kinds of terain.

Voortrekker is just very hard to race especially when its wet. I recon if they make some more tarils and they get time to set propperly it could be on par with Groenkloof.
[/quote']

at this stage the Monument and Groenkloof are managed by two different insititutions.  namely AKV and Tswane metro.  Klapperkop and Fountains are an extention of groenkloof.  Klapperkop has now fences and guards.

When did they close the trail up to the radio tower ? Racing at the monument is not for sissies .

Is the Voortrekker MTB trail an alternative to Klapperkop for some hill training?

Very much so went and tried it out on Friday after getting the flyer, managed to get in about 15 km it's not bad but not groenkloof, the best climb was on tar I am afraid up to the spanneskop fort really beautiful views from up top there, there looked like there were some offroad options on the way down but it was getting late so no time to explore. The main trail is well marked but other options were few and far between, hope they mark the trails properly and it will have great potential. I will be using it for hill climbing as it is a really steep and long climb to spanneskop until I find the off road option.

Is the Voortrekker MTB trail an alternative to Klapperkop for some hill training?

Very much so went and tried it out on Friday after getting the flyer' date=' managed to get in about 15 km it's not bad but not groenkloof, the best climb was on tar I am afraid up to the spanneskop fort really beautiful views from up top there, there looked like there were some offroad options on the way down but it was getting late so no time to explore. The main trail is well marked but other options were few and far between, hope they mark the trails properly and it will have great potential. I will be using it for hill climbing as it is a really steep and long climb to spanneskop until I find the off road option.
[/quote']

I presume you are referring to Skanskop?

Very much so went and tried it out on Friday after getting the flyer' date=' managed to get in about 15 km it's not bad but not groenkloof, the best climb was on tar I am afraid up to the spanneskop fort really beautiful views from up top there, there looked like there were some offroad options on the way down but it was getting late so no time to explore. The main trail is well marked but other options were few and far between, hope they mark the trails properly and it will have great potential. I will be using it for hill climbing as it is a really steep and long climb to spanneskop until I find the off road option.
[/quote']

I presume you are referring to Skanskop?

If you ride on the tar and you reach the second last right turn before reaching the fort you will see a mast surrounded by fencing.

There is a small single track on the left of the fence that starts there. Take it all the way down(nice technical down hill). But you know that what goes down must come up so turn arround and you will have a great, long technical climb with allot of rocks!