Cyclists unite

Lukep

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><>

Cyclists unite

We are all aware of the bike jacking taking place across the

country, and the reality is that SAPS are not going to do anything about it ,

so the only people who can is us!

Bike jacking in the past was opportunistic, it is now

organised planned and executed with military precision.

The question is what can we do?

This is the reason for

this thread:

Let?s put our ideas down  here and see if we can make something

work.

I think this is what we must stop doing:

Having and us and them approach to other

cyclists(road and MTB) and cycling clubs we are all one community! And need to act as such

Thinking that the place where you cycle is safe!

It is only a matter of time until the rest of the criminal?s cotton onto the

easy money and low risk of bike jacking vs. carjacking  and they may claim your

riding grounds as their jacking grounds!

If you

are buying a 2010 top of the range bike that retails for R65 000 for R20 000

make sure it is not stolen.

Don?t be penny wise and pound foolish, if we all

have to pay R100 per month to hire a security company then let?s do it.

We should all keep a record of the serial numbers of our bikes and post them on the hub if the bike is stolen that way we can encourage responsible buying of second hand bikes to ensure the bike is not stolen.

Cyclists unite

We are all aware of the bike jacking taking place across the country, and the reality is that SAPS are not going to do anything about it , so the only people who can is us!

Bike jacking in the past was opportunistic, it is now organised planned and executed with military precision.

The question is what can we do and this is the reason for this thread:

Let?s put our ideas down and see if we can make something work.

1.       Having and us and them approach to other cyclists and cycling clubs we are all one community! And need to act as such

2.       Thinking that the place where you cycle is safe! It is only a matter of time until the rest of the criminal?s cotton onto the easy money and low risk of bike jacking vs. carjacking they may claim your riding grounds as their jacking grounds?

3.        If you are buying a 2010 top of the range bike that retails for R65 000 for R20 000 make sure it is not stolen.

4.       Don?t be penny wise and pound foolish, if we all have to pay R100 per month to hire a security company then let?s do it.

We are all aware of the bike jacking taking place across the country, and the reality is that SAPS are not going to do anything about it , so the only people who can is us!

Bike jacking in the past was opportunistic, it is now organised planned and executed with military precision.

1.       Having and us and them approach to other cyclists and cycling clubs we are all one community! And need to act as such

2.       Thinking that the place where you cycle is safe! It is only a matter of time until the rest of the criminal?s cotton onto the easy money and low risk of bike jacking vs. carjacking they may claim your riding grounds as their jacking grounds?

3.        If you are buying a 2010 top of the range bike that retails for R65 000 for R20 000 make sure it is not stolen.

4.       Don?t be penny wise and pound foolish, if we all have to pay R100 per month to hire a security company then let?s do it.

I agree steps need to be taken, but I'm aiming to shoot one or two with my 10mm hollow points and lets see how keen they are to threaten other cyclist!

[/quote']

LukeP:  military precision is not all it is cut up to be.  Deliverying tonnes of munition to the enemy has never been very precise.  Colateral damage is a part of the game.  That is why war is not nice, and is more gory than glory.  Rather say surgical precision.

Point 1.  Join a club and join in in club activities, then there are more us than you.

Point 2. never ride alone, and never ride near building sites and informal settlements.

Point 3.  Get a clunker, Single speed, a whatever bike to train on.  Race on the R65 000 bike.

Point 4.  Ride in places that are guarded, like Groenkloof behindpushers monument and Klapperkop (and very softly MTN bike park).

Point 5.  map your routes and check for the nono's in point 2.

Remember for a crime to occure a victim and a preptrator have to meet at the event.  Out think the organised criminal, be where he is not waiting.  (Sun Tzu)  Be wary and don't do places on your bike where you would not take your kids.