KULULA - TO BE AVOIDED BY CYCLIST

Baster Brak

So I buy my plane ticket to fly down to Durban for the Tour Durban, early the Saturday morning I pack my bags and carefully pack my bicycle into my bike bag. I stop at the hardware and even buy some locks to make sure everything is probably secure, pick my mate up and we rush off to the airport. On arrival we check in and I ask the lady at the counter to please place a "FRAGILE" sticker on my bike to witch she replies they no longer apply these and assures me that they will handle my bike with extreme care.

So we get to Durban and I notice that my suitcase was tamperred with, this I notice because the lock I bought on my way to the airport is no longer on my suitecase. I go to Kulula's counter and report the matter and was told that someone from Kulula will contact me regarding the matter, anyhow, luckily nothing is stolen so life goes on and we arrive at our hotel after a very good deal cab ride.

On Saturday evening I start assembling my bike and it appears that the rear derauleur on my bike has been bent on the flight, I try to straighten this out and it seemed to work(No I had replaced this rear draileur at great cost two weeks earlier so you can imagine me being pissed off at this point). Get on the bike on Sunday am to peddle to the start and 100m down the road at the frist gear shift the chain jumps into the rear wheel between the spokes and the cassette. End of my race, I turn around pick up my bike and walk back to my hotel, the chain no so firmly wedged that the only way to get it out will be to remove the casette which not having a tool I cannot do. So whilst watch Money Maywheather giving Mosley a boxing lesson I carryfully start packing the bike now having had to remove the deraileur in order to remove the back wheel so that I can get the bike back into the bag, I carefull wrapped evrything so that nothing would scratch or move around, called the could deal taxi and arranged for a earlier pick up waited for my mate who no had to race on his own and then made my way to the airport. So upon arriving at the airport I go to Kulua's office and inform them that the broke my bike to which the only reply I got was EISH THIS IS A PROBLEM ,but your flight she is over sold and we will put you on a earlier flight and then when you get to Johannesburg, maybe, and that she is a very big maybe someone she will help you about this problem that we broke your bike. So I get back on the plane fly back and at JHB go to the BA / KULULA baggage claim counter to try and resolve this matter, to be told, EISH, THIS IS A PROBLEM, we can not help you, and we cannot accept any responsibility for you luggage, so even though you pay us to transport you and you luggage, and even though we will not allow you to take you bike as hand luggage so you can ensure that it is handled with due care we cannot accept any resposibility for the fact that we f?ck your bike up on the way to DBN and caused even more damage on the way back, that we assisted you in waisting your time and money to fly to DBN to sit in the City Lodge and watch Money MAyweather give Mosley a boxing leason, I could have done this at home for a lot less and even though you phone and mailed us we dont give a flying f?ck about your future business and as such will not respond to any of you calls or emails, we are a cheap airline, with cheap pricipals who would rather focus on witty advertising slogans that customer satidfaction,

SO IF YOU ARE A CYCLIST WE WILL DAMAGE YOUR BIKE, DO IT FOR FREE AND THAN JUST NOT BOTHER TO GET BACK TO YOU ON THE MATTER 

I think that ACSA handles your baggage, not the actual airline.

I remember having to sign a waiver of some sorts when I flew to Durban for Sani2C. It was along the lines of them (ACSA or Airline, I cant remember) not accepting any responsibility for damage to bike.

Why didn't you drive down much easier.

One of my mates that did IronMan two years ago had the same problem with SAA, luckily it was on the way back that his bike got damaged so he completed the IM.

JUST signed the tag, their was no waiver info or details on the tag, my point is once I had my luggage to the airline it is in their care and their responsibility until it is handed back to me at my destination, so for them to say that they cannot or will not accept responsibility is not accepatable, cause if that is the case then I want my bike to be my carry on luggage.

Try take off the RD in future : its vulnerable. Better still get one of those Strider 'Splints' onto which the frame mounts (like a bike rack) that protects all the lower end.

No ACSA does not handle the baggage, the airline contracts a baggage handler to do it. Irrespective the airline operator is still responsible for your luggage. Again a typical example if how the service providers in SA think they can get away with anything, and they do.

Try contacting the Kulula HQ and post your complaint on hellopeter.com

Guest Big H

Brakkie.... pity you had to learn this way, but..... the rear derraileur hanger (replaceable dropout) is MEANT to bend to avoid damge to your expensive bicycle frame and derraileur. So by leaving it on and allowing the bike bag to stand on the thingy sticking out at the bottom unprotected you were looking for trouble..... hell it could even have bent in your car or the luggage trolley.

Next time take it off together with the replaceable hanger..... it is one nut that you remove and tape or zip tie the whole thing wrapped in bubble wrap somewhere in the rear triangle. That way it will be fairly well protected.

Also remeber the spacers for the fork and the rear triangle.

I also protect the frame with lagging sponge that you can buy at builders warehouse. Our Tandems have travelled deep ito darkest Africa in cargo holds or on top of bakkies on the worst roads possible like this..... damage .... NIL!!!!!!!

and get a hardshell bike bag/case, i wont trust airlines or any transport company with a soft bikebag

bike bags IMHO are a waste of money. They DON'T offer any protection apart from dust. But otherwise, rather take it apart and box it. I've travelled the last 8 years with my bikes boxed and never had any damage.

you gotta pack your bike as if you expect it to get chucked around and stuff packed on top of it, if you just bag it or wheel it on you are asking for trouble. Its common sense, look at the calibre of bagage handlers, do you realy expect your most beloved possessions to be handled with care

Same thing happened to me at the start of the year with Kulula.com. However they did pay out a small sum in the end. My frame wasn't compromised but its got a nasty gash on the side. Have pm'd you some details on the process i followed.

We(my son,wife and me)have been travelling with them since God invented bullets and Never had a problem!

I use a TC1,my son uses a bike box and Tess uses a TC1

We pay our excess,unless we are able to charm the chick,get stickers put on,and never had a problem.I moan and bitch about the excess.Thats in my job description.

Please remember that they will not take responsibility for your bike.You sign a waiver at check in.Get insurance and a hard case mate.