Which Road is safer?

Hi

I went for a ride on Sunday on Ontdekkers for the 1st time in ages and was surprised by the amount of riders on that road. I normally go out on Hendrick Portgieter towards the K-Dorp hill. I feel safe on the latter as it has the wide yellow 'taxi-lane'.

I was wondering what the views are here as to which is safer.

When I was thin, I rode up to Ontdekkers, rode out to K-Dorp and went down the hill toHendrick and back to the Mugg.

I am restarting my training and hills are an issue at the moment and finding a flat ride for base is tough, unless I go out east but that costs more in petrol than I am willing to spend.

So, to wrap, safety, fun and ease?

Help me out.

Jon

Do you start from M&B? I ride that route alot and I have never had any problems. And I hope and pray and never do.

we're from around there, Hendrik Potgieter to our club is a NO-GO!!! But I think it also depends when you're riding there.

I normally start at M&B, but yesterday met a mate at Princess Crossing. Odntdekkers seems very close to the cars and VERY difficult to talk as riding two abreast is dangerous there.

BBJSG, what time, before 8:00 you can get away riding two abreast as it is still rather quiet heading west.

I did HP a few weeks back and found it no worse than a lot of other roads. The only place one needs to be a bit careful is when appoaching some of the slip roads as the cars tend to take these without slowing down.

The few times I rode this route we were a bunch of guys.

We had no problems on route...Just when you take the turn to go up that @#$% Krugersdorp hill....Only space where it is a little bit intimidating is down Ontdekkers.

Would love to do that route again...

Let me know when you are doing it!!!