MTB Hubs Debate

Caerus

Hi all,

I was hoping for some help in choosing some hubs for my tubeless wheelset build. I am looking at four different hubs for my rear wheel. Please need advice on the following hubs - Hope Pro 2, DT Swiss 240s, American Classic and A2Z. Which are the better all round hubs? Im going to be using Stans ztr 355 rims.

Which ones to get? Bearing in mind the following;- Cost, servicing, reliabitlity, weight and finally the performance of the hubs.

Any ideas on tyres and spokes as well would be greatly appreciated.

I do mostly trail riding, bit of XC and racing on weekends.

Many Thanks.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 355's on hope pro2 and loving them at the moment, Can't comment on the others but they all have good reputations. My wheels really make a difference when it comes to climbing, just feels easier. Get a custom built pair, you might wait a bit longer but well worth it. PM JB

What about Shimano XT or XTR ? Industry 9 and Chris King are two other good options.

Personally, I would go with the Hope's. But that's just 'cos they are bling. I currently have Shimano XT's and they are great. Good value for money, easily servicable and reliable.

I would second the Shimano XT and XTR options ... the XT will last and take a serious beating at the same time.

Have the Shimano hubs just lost their Bling factor (I.E no colour anodizing options) and have therefore become less popular with people wanting to build up wheel sets?

Simple options are if you have the money the 240;s are some of the best hubs you can get.

Hope Pro 2's rand for rand the best you can buy, servicable, durable and bling all in one package, they sound piele also. Ask Rouxtjie to post pics of his Hope Pro 2 wheels and you will be sold.

Chris King/I9 are the bees balls but are costly.

certain parts should not be bling and wheels are one of those. A good pair of wheels will outlast a frame. And as fashion changes so does bike colour schemes. If you colour code your wheels it will look crap on a frame that does not match. Keep them black and they will go with everything in the future.

certain parts should not be bling and wheels are one of those. A good pair of wheels will outlast a frame. And as fashion changes so does bike colour schemes. If you colour code your wheels it will look crap on a frame that does not match. Keep them black and they will go with everything in the future.
But where is the fun in that?

That's very good advice.

exactly Tongue

the fun comes when you want to sell it. Then more people will be interested because it is a neutral colour.

what about a set of Momsendesign hubs?

http://www.momsendesign.co.za/images/ontheboil/67417CC9-19B9-BA51-EE85B7567363E62C/67417CC9-19B9-BA51-EE85B7567363E62C.jpg

Hi all' date='

I was hoping for some help in choosing some hubs for my tubeless wheelset build. I am looking at four different hubs for my rear wheel. Please need advice on the following hubs - Hope Pro 2, DT Swiss 240s, American Classic and A2Z. Which are the better all round hubs? Im going to be using Stans ztr 355 rims.

Which ones to get? Bearing in mind the following;- Cost, servicing, reliabitlity, weight and finally the performance of the hubs.

Any ideas on tyres and spokes as well would be greatly appreciated.

I do mostly trail riding, bit of XC and racing on weekends.

Many Thanks.
[/quote']

Given the criteria you mentioned, namely cost, servicing, reliability and weight (which is bullsh*t criteria), you don't have a candidate amongst your selected four.

DT Swiss has freehub body seals made from cheese - the Swiss variety with lots of holes in it.

AC and A2Z are one and the same hub made by the same company. Since they are like ramp models concerned with weight, they compromised on the bearings. They're too small for the job and expensive to replace. Stay away.

Hope...not bad but if you compare costs and serviceability with say Shimano hubs, they come a poor second.

Get Shimano XT hubs and put the balance of money you saved in your pension fund.

And for pete's sake, don't buy hubs that require proprietary spokes or straight-pull spokes - you'll cry later on.

Johan Bornman2010-05-12 04:45:53

Man I wish these coloured coded hubs and stuff will die a silent death. Its like putting fur on your dash and a bobbing dog in the rear window. You dont put green mags on your car..why should your bike be different?

Anyway...I'll go with good old boring shimano hubs. They will outlast any of these niche brands, and the performance should be equal if not better.

DT Swiss has freehub body seals made from cheese - the Swiss variety with lots of holes in it.

I can't agree more on the DT Swiss hubs. It's crap.

Does anyone have any experience of the Stans / No Tubes proprietary hubs? They look quite reasonably priced and are an obvious match with the rims.