High protein diet

Omlette

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried that a few years back and lived on egg whites, tuna  and pasta at lunch and fruit and water.

I never fell so strong and ran my best marathon times but it's hard to keep up and makes you constipated.

Eggs, lots of them. Tuna, lots of it. Chicken, quite alot of it. Red meat (lean), also a lot. Nuts, yes. Biltong, more! Protein shake, at least one a day.

Nuts' date=' yes. Biltong, more! Protein shake, at least one a day.[/quote']

Nuts, no....tooo much fat according to some dietitian's.

Biltong, yes preferably game.

Be careful, always check the carb content and your wheat intolerance.

Don't cut out carbs completely, eat mash etc. on days that you train a lot.

With every high protein meal, eat lot's and lot's of veggies.

Dangle2010-05-12 06:01:17

for what purpose? if you overdose yourself on Protein, it will turn into fat reserves as it will remain unused. Rather get a well balanced diet, or get the book "Eat Right For Sport" by Liesbet Delport which will teach you ALL you need to knwo about eating right for different sports.

for what purpose? if you overdose yourself on Protein' date=' it will turn into fat reserves as it will remain unused. Rather get a well balanced diet, or get the book "Eat Right For Sport" by Liesbet Delport which will teach you ALL you need to knwo about eating right for different sports.

[/quote']

I know, but this is for a colleague's husband that sees high protein diets as the answer to weight loss,  thing is he doesnt even exercise

as cptmayhem says, protein will be used as an alternative energy source. And if there isn't sufficient carbs, this takes place with a process called ketosis(???). And then , the dieter starts to smell NOT PLEASANT!!!Dead

Higher protein diet will work if he doesn't excercise, because protein takes more enery to digest. It seems you can't reason with him to start excercising, so at least tell him to eat lots of fibre if he eats carbs.

For the protein part:

Omlettes for breakfast- 1 whole egg and 3 egg whits for example

Whey protein shakes during the day for snacks.

Fat free cottage cheese is excellent protein source without a lot of calories.

Chicken breasts

Tuna, tuna, tuna

Handfull of nuts (The healthy fats are supposed to make you feel fuller for longer)

Low fat yogurt

He will need veggies and fruit for the vitamins.(Can't cut carbs completly)

Game Biltong

Quinoa - (It's a high protein grain.)