Stiction on Magura Durin Race 100mm

mongoose_dude

I got my Merida 96 3000D recently. The bike comes stock standard with a Durin Race fork. I've noticed in the last few rides that if the fork is depressed by about 50mm, then there is a LOT of stiction. This of course means that with my normal sag (about 30mm) the small bump absorption is pretty nonexistent. If I compare this fork to the Reba on my other bike, then this is very very annoying... I've done the whole "keep bike upside down for a night to lubricate inners" thing - didn't help smiley19.gif

Any ideas what can cause this on a brand new fork? Surely this must be related to the manufacturing of the fork, and cannot be fixed by a service or such? Does anyone else have a Durin?

Advice appreciated!!!

I've serviced a couple of Durins recently and didn't notice any such stiction at all. The bushings on Durin forks are plastic, not teflon on white metal like Fox and Rox. However, that doesn't make a difference.  I was going to say you should take it back to Merida so they can send it to the agent. However, there is no agent for Magura in ZA and no Magura fork parts here either. It seems to me the Merida agent is just holding thumbs that nothing goes wrong before he sorts out the local spareholding etc.

Your fork may just be the one that final backfires on this mess.

Hmmm, could it be that it needs some run-in? My Recon had quite a bit of stiction brand new, but loosened up nicely after a couple of weeks of riding....

I've serviced a couple of Durins recently and didn't notice any such stiction at all. The bushings on Durin forks are plastic' date=' not teflon on white metal like Fox and Rox. However, that doesn't make a difference.? I was going to say you should take it back to Merida so they can send it to the agent. However, there is no agent for Magura in ZA and no Magura fork parts here either. It seems to me the Merida agent is just holding thumbs that nothing goes wrong before he sorts out the local spareholding etc.

[/quote']

Well that sounds encouraging, thanks JB smiley2.gif

On a technical side-note, I have read in some of the magura forums that the fork might not have enough lubrication oil (for the sponges in the upper legs). Do you think one could fix the problem by adding more lubrication oil? Is this simple to do? And lastly, what weight of oil is it - simply the standard fork oil?

Hmmm' date=' could it be that it needs some run-in? My Recon had quite a bit of stiction brand new, but loosened up nicely after a couple of weeks of riding....[/quote']

Hi Martin - not sure about this, actually... The fork has only done about 150km, so it might be possible that it needs some running in. I must say, my Reba was buttery smooth from the beginning. What is the norm for these things - anyone know?

I've serviced a couple of Durins recently and didn't notice any such stiction at all. The bushings on Durin forks are plastic' date=' not teflon on white metal like Fox and Rox. However, that doesn't make a difference.  I was going to say you should take it back to Merida so they can send it to the agent. However, there is no agent for Magura in ZA and no Magura fork parts here either. It seems to me the Merida agent is just holding thumbs that nothing goes wrong before he sorts out the local spareholding etc.

[/quote']

Well that sounds encouraging, thanks JB smiley2.gif

On a technical side-note, I have read in some of the magura forums that the fork might not have enough lubrication oil (for the sponges in the upper legs). Do you think one could fix the problem by adding more lubrication oil? Is this simple to do? And lastly, what weight of oil is it - simply the standard fork oil?

I doubt it. Some aftermarket wiper seals don't even have the sponge ring in there anymore and their stiction is no more or less than sponge-ring forks.

But if you want to try....it takes 20ml of oil in each lower leg. Remove the footnuts, whack the compression rods with a mallet until they break loose and pull the slider slightly out without removing it completely. Drain whatever oil is in there and look at its colour. If it is clear, you're ok, if it is cloudy, it needs a service. Then inject 20ml of fork oil, 15wt into each lower and reassemble. Torque the footnuts 6NM.

You can use just about any oil in there. It is just for lubrication and doesn't have to be fork oil. So engine oil, thinner grade like 10W40 will work just fine.

• 6 months later...

Please dont give advice which is not applicable to Magura forks.

First of all Magura forks do not take any type of oil.

It takes Type 5 and Type 2 Magura fork oil.

If you use 5 weight as sugested by all the people that know how, your fork will stiffen up and will not work on smaller bumps. you will damge the rebound unit and it will not be a warranty.

Secondly it only takes 5ml of oil in each lower leg.

If there is any questions regarding the MAGURA forks, please feel free to contact.

Cutting Edge Marketing cc

082 563 3698

corrie@iconnection.co.za